Pc Lighting experiment

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Phil5613, Jan 12, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

I just completed a trade that I picked up a 4 week old Corallife 260 watt pc fixture. It is the exact same as the one that I want to replace with Mh on my 90. I am going to run both fixtures for a total of 520 watts for now seeing that they haven't cost me anything. Any thoughts or suggestions? Some answers in advance- yes they both fit will run open top and have ordered legs to raise above the top of tank. All the bulbs are only 1 month to 3 months old so I figure to get about 6 months more. 4 Actinic bulbs and 4 10 k do not know what the config will be. Still building hood for mh but the rush is less, Thinking of redoing sump now.
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

4. Phil5613

Quick update after 2 days:
    Temp dropped 2 degrees with open top
    Evap has doubled with open top
    Frags opening better
    Love the setup of 4 10k in back and 4 actinic in front
    Thats it for now will update soon hoping to take pics after one week

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Good deal. I want to see how ya did the DIY.

6. Phil5613

Hey Dave no diy on the compacts I used 2 of these fixtures.
    http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNumber=53106&IDProductRelationship=36
    The only diy is I am going to string your rope light idea in between the fixture attaching it to the legs on the back fixture.

UPDATE: As posted earlier all those parameters are the same.
    My lta purple tipped doesn't like the new setup yet and did pull back in the rock and I thought I was going to lose it, but after rearranging the rock a bit and a couple of days target feeding frozen baby brine and live brine today it is looking better. It still isn't completely happy. :p
    The rest of the inhabitants are doing well and opening larger, my Gorgonian is really extending its polyps. The two Frags ( colt coral and star polyps) I added also are doing well and the colt coral is standing tall. I did pick up 2 bulbs that are true blue and not actinic to see if I like that look but like the look I have now.
    By the way I use ro water but have noticed a quicker algae bloom I am wiping the tank twice a week instead of one if it gets worse I will investigate further.
    All in all this route is pretty easy but would cost between $500-$600 so I don't know if it is less expensive then halides but I liked the ease and no heat concerns at all.