PC bulb choice for planted FW

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by scenario1313, Dec 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Does anyone know what the best choice to get for pc bulbs to do this little 30 gallon tank for my daughters room. I am going to do live plants and a few little fish. I installed a 2 x 65 pc retro kit I had into the canopy and not sure as to what type of bulbs to get for this FW purpose. Any ideas. Do you use actinic on a FW set up with plants.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

If I remember correctly, You dont need actinics for FW, only daylight. Like 5500k or 6500k or even 7100k. Luna

4. scenario1313

I have 2 new 10,000k / 6,700k split daylight bulbs. Do you think the 10,000k part of the bulb would be to much.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Honestly, I dont remember too much from my FW days. It was too short and VERY long ago, but if I had to guess, I think that 10k might be too much. Im not really sure thou. Luna

6. yeager003

yeager003 Bristle Worm

no those bulbs should work just fine. With that much light and plants you will need C02 though.

7. scenario1313

Adding CO2 sounds like a little to much to be adding to this tank for her room. i am thinking of just doing some live underwater grass or something like that but I am not going over board with the plants. With that being said is the CO2 a necessity. I am going to be concentrating more on the 120 reef to be thinking of rigging CO2 up.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

My LFS has a FW planted tank and to be honest, I've never seen any Co2 equipment near it. I would do some research before setting it up. Luna

10. scenario1313

Will do thanks my friend. I'll research this some more. Or maybe I should just a damsel only tank for her. LOL More salt.

11. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

for "underwater grass" you are most likely thinking of Eleocharis parvula (dwarf hairgrass) it will do fine under low lighting, low nutrient substrate, and no addition of co2 but growth will hinder. If you are looking to have the tank have that nice carpet of grass that looks like a well kept lawn than any species that will produce that effect will need rich substrate, high light and addition of co2.
    So i would recommend adding stem plants in order to compete out problem algae when using high light, no co2 and low nutrient substrate. most of the carpet plants are heavy root feeders so if you want to setup to put the odds in your favor to accomplish a carpet effect i would at least look into some rich substrates and possible addition of fertilzers.

2 people like this.
  12. scenario1313

Thanks for the help That Guy.