Pasty's JBJ28 Haddoni Biotope--New Video (7.4.2014)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Pastey, Jun 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Went and got a hydrometer last night as a temp. "solution" to make sure my salinity was, at least, in the ball-park while I wait on my refractometer. Did a little fresh-water exhange in the DT last night to bring it down a hair and the brew I've been making in a "mixing" 10gal (for water changes) was spot on (take that with a grain of salt...pun intended). While I was there, I picked up 2 hermit crabs to accompany my stomatella to help my clean up efforts. I realize a new tank is going to have a little detritus but I don't want it going absolutely crazy as I do not want to introduce my livestock to that in a few weeks. Did a 1.5 hour acclimation period for temp and a 50/50 water water swap over the 1.5 hour period. Maybe overkill for hermits but why stress them more, I figure. Anyway, smaller one was grazing sand before lights out and they were both munching and playing king of the hill this morning. I have to assume eating is a good sign. Yes, 95% of this post is about hermit crabs....get over it. ;) Just documenting the saga as it unfolds...big and small :)

Just iPhone picture...Nikon was completely dead:
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Ordered 2 Koralia Nano 425gph powerheads this afternoon and my parameter check kit/refractometer are due to arrive tomorrow. I'll finally have a more definitive idea as to where I stand in.

Need to order a 50w heater for my mixing tank and I'm still fine tuning my heater in the DT in an attempt to keep peak/min. in the right range throughout the day.

4. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Good news: Parameter test kit and the driver for my dawn/dusk lighting will be on the way today.
    Bad news: Refractometer is on back order.

I don't trust the hydrometer much further than I can throw it so I won't feel comfortably relying heavily on it. Anyone know where to get a competant refractometer that won't break the bank?

5. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Update: Got some packages in yesterday. First one contained my test kit (more on that in a second), refractometer and the dawn/dusk LED driver since they were inop when I bought the tank. The 2nd contained my (2)Koralia Nano 425's.

Unfortunately, the kit that was sent to me wasn't exactly what I had anticipated. I received the Reef Master kit which doesn't have many tests that are handy for a newly setup tank. I did test for Nitrate and Phosphate and both came to ~0. I went out and bought ANOTHER kit that has the remaining tests I need to do (Alk, nitrite, pH, ammonia, etc). $85 later and I now have the tests I need. My specific gravity was a touch low 1.023 but not so much that I'm alarmed...I was using a $12 hydrometer.

Swapped out the bad LED driver and got that working and also installed the (2) Koralias on the wave timer (5 min. intervals). I didn't want to set them on a short interval for two reasons. One, being that I didn't want to burn them up too quickly and two, this tank is in my bedroom and the magnets on the Koralia's make an audible "click" when it engages. It's not deafening but noticeable.

Dry rock from Reefcleaners.org MIGHT arrive today which means I'll be scaping the tank and then letting it all cycle again if it needs to.

6. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Can I get someone to move this thread to the "Show off your Tank" forum? I guess this doesn't fit very well in this section anymore. Thanks.

7. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Alk - ~1.6
    pH - ~8.2
    Ammonia - ~0.25
    Nitrate - ~0
    Nitrate - ~0.05

I put "~" because these tests are very difficult for someone who is blue/green colorblind. Now I'm off to find where my levels should be. pH seems high but I'm not sure about any of the others.

Seems ammonia is very high but after doing the math (pH/Temp = [email protected]), my level comes up to be around 0.08ppm. Anyone care to shed some light? Seems to me like an actual ammonia test would be worthless if it is so easily calculated with pH and temp.

I'm going to do a 5gal water change today and retest in the middle of next week. My dry rock did not make it yesterday so I've got my fingers crossed for today.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

10. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

I read that last night. I did a 3 ga. (10%) water change this morning so I'll check parameters again right after I turn off the daytime lights to see where I stand. From a chemical standpoint, nothing was going crazy so I'm not that worried. I've got plenty of patience to wait it out :) I know the base rock might cause another mini-cycle so I'm prepared for that as well.

11. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Thanks to Reefcleaners, my base rock showed up yesterday. After giving a good rinse, I started playing around with some scapes. Unfortunately, when I got the look I wanted, my tank simply wasn't large enough and I ended up not being able to use the largest peice. I'll end up breaking it into some smaller pieces that are easier to work with and make some rubble to put in the overflow section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What DIDN'T fit:
    [​IMG]

What DOES fit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just goofing off with the wide array of difficult lighting (my weakpoint in photography is making the best of contrasting lighting):
    [​IMG]

I might tweak it but I think I left it pretty open but I MAY move the Nano on the right side to the side of the tank facing left to try and get a little extra flow around the back-side of the rocks. As for the live rock placement, I just spaced it out so everything would evenly "expand" to the base.

12. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

I have some livestock ordered and they will be delivered to me by the LFS next Saturday (awesome service....air controlled environment for the trip and NO UPS!)

Params have been steady as a rock for a week now with weekly 10% WC's. I'm thinking of changing the rock around a bit to allow for better flow. I've been trying to keep the top of the sand stirred up to stop detritus build-up but I can't seem to get a nice flow around the entire tank. There is always 1 or 2 dead spots where there is little/no flow. I might remove a couple of peices of rock and open it up a bit before the livestock arrives so I don't stress them while they're adjusting to their new home.