Pasty's JBJ28 Haddoni Biotope--New Video (7.4.2014)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Pastey, Jun 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

SCCA Solo/lapping days in my Honda S2000 and we have a Nissan 240sx "Lemons" car. Instead of trying to explain, I'll simply leave you with a link to the site (24 Hours of Lemons - Home Page). It's an absolute blast so if you've got some buddies and about $3k laying around, you should try your hand. I know they have some New England races. No matter the outcome, it will leave a lasting impression.

2. Click Here!

3. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

LeMons looks like it's a blast! There's one in Stafford Springs that's not too far. Thank's for the link.

4. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Once I go pick up the tank (not this weekend but next), I'm going to have to order the RO/DI unit, substrate and base/live rock so I can get the tank cycling.

Is this JBJ LED tank going to need heater, heater and chiller, or just a chiller? I live in Louisiana but the house stays on a pretty steady 72-75.

I've been seeing more accounts of people recommending dry sand instead of live sand and simply letting the live rock "populate" the sand.

28 gallons with a median 1.5lbs. rock/gal. = 42lbs. LR. I've heard everything from all live rock to 10% LR and letting the 10% populate the rest of the tank. Does this increase cycling time waiting for it to spread? I know base rock is considerably cheaper but would going 50/50 between base/live rock be a fair trade between cycle time and price?

5. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

The person selling me the tank has given me the live rock and substrate WITH the tank which helps speed me along a bit but I still must get the ro/di unit, water testing supplies (chemical and non), and heater.

I plan on storing the filtered water in a container (such as a Rubbermade bin) with a heater and pump to circulate. Do I need to beware of silicate levels because of the container or would I be better off getting a 10gal and just adding to it?

What chemicals do I need to be monitoring off the bat? Salinity, ammonia, pH, nitrites and nitrates are the ones that always pop up when dealing with new setups but are there any others? Are there test "kits" with needed testing suppies or should I buy each one seperately?

6. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Picked up tank, stand, live rock/sand, water, heater and salt from Johnnie @ Misha's in Sulphur, LA today. Brought it home and got it running (had to leave town til this afternoon so I won't be able to update with clear pictures til then..it was very cloudy Saturday afternoon) and everything seems to be running as predicted. Refractometer, chemical test kits, ro/di and maybe one or 2 other things will be here next week. Big thanks to Johnnie for helping answer my questions and he really gave me a great deal for all that was included. Looking forward to doing more business with them in the near future! I'll update this thread as the cube gets modded and progresses. I'm eyeing a new media basket and some upgraded pumps but the stock setup will do for now while I have no real bioload. I'll have some pictures up with afternoon :)

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

And it's on, buddy. Welcome to your next addiction.... I mean hobby!

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits

8. Click Here!

9. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

I forgot to add, I noticed a handful of brittle stars that came with the live rock and also some small, shelled, snail-like creatures wandering around. I saw some feather dusters floating around in the current that may or may not have made the trip alive but I can only hope there were some that did....I think they're great. I've got a nice camera and a nice macro lense so I'll be able to take detailed pictures of it all. I know I'll need more rock but I think I'll get some nice, porous base-rock and let the live rock "populate" it. My sand and rock came from a tank that had been up and running.

10. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Noticed a few goods and a few bads. Aipstasia and/or majano seem to be my bads so I mentally noted them while I inspected all of the rock that was visible. Pulled the rock, removed them and gave them a good flush of fresh water. Whether or not this is enough, I'm uncertain. I knew leaving them be would certainly not do. I might as well get rid of it while I can with only a few small peices of LR. Also added in an extra powerhead and aimed it along the bottom to try and keep a nice flow going as well as taking the stock pumps off the "wavemaker" and turned them both on for max flow.

As for the rock, I know its far from enough but this is what simply came from the previous owner. My refactometer and water test kit still have not come in so I still feel like I don't have a clue what the conditions are like yet (because I don't). I need to go ahead and order ~15 lbs. of Fiji or Punaki rock so I can get the tank into its full "condition" in preperation for fish/inverts but I'm truly in no hurry.

I did, however, hook up and tune my RO/DI this afternoon and collected myself about 5-6 gallons. Great drinking water, btw :)

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

JBJ 28 gallon, nice that is what I have.

What type of lighting?

Did you get a skimmer?

12. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Lighting is 89w LED and no skimmer...yet. I'm still reading a lot. Wasn't sure if I was going to really need one and if I did, what brand would suit my needs (keep it simple stupid). I have taken a liking to upgrading the media basket since he stock one is kind of flimsy and doesn't hold much.