Pasty's JBJ28 Haddoni Biotope--New Video (7.4.2014)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Pastey, Jun 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Would you recommend the JBJ over the BioCube? I see JBJ has an LED lit version that I'm drawn to for, if nothing else, the lifespan of the LED's. Did you have to add a chiller, or anything else, to the JBJ to find your equilibrium?

2. Click Here!

3. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

lol, they actually have some rather luxurious PHs available. Check out the Vortech mp10.

Thank you. It's come along way from the start. 3reef has been a big factor in getting it to where it's at now.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I like both just about equally. I know next to nothing about LED's so I am worthless in that department. Never used any of the newer brands or types and have no idea how they work with anemones.

I see post or threads were people really like their LED JBJ's.

Yes I did add a chiller, I live in AZ and the tank tends to climb temp wise to mid 80's without it. It is a closed lid system so that does not help at all.

The Biocube is a clamp on right? If that is the case heating should not be a huge issue with proper fan placement if need be.

Bubble tips do just fine under the stock lighting of the PC model. If you want to keep some of the more sensitive sps PC will not really cut it.

5. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

I, for right now, have no intention of keeping any SPS. Fish, LR, and a BTA is all. Simplicity is the name of the game for me :)

Of course I say that, then run across this on Craigslist:
    [​IMG]

The idea of picking up an already tried and proven setup is enticing even though it is larger/more complex than I had originally intended. If anything, I could sell the SPS if I still decide I do not want it. The 40gal. would certainly give me a little more room to work with. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  6. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

I thought SPS would be hard to keep, but they ended up being fairly easy.

The 40 gallon Breeder is a great sized tank. The one in the pic looks pretty nice, too.

7. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

As far as I know, it may be long gone. That setup would be considerably cheaper than purchasing all new for a smaller tank but certain precautions would have to be taken. Checking carefully for leaks, signs of disease, etc. I'm all for saving dough but there are inherent risks when purchasing used, as I'm sure I don't have to explain. I'm a little giddy at the thought of even going to look at this thing....I haven't felt like this since I went sky-diving for the first time! What is wrong with me?

8. Click Here!

9. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

There's always tons of stuff on Craigslist. I've had pretty good luck buying used stuff from CL. The fact you can look things over in person helps. I really like to get frags off local Reefkeepers who list them on CL, than I usually get to check out some cool tanks where the mother colonies are kept. Feels like being a kid in a candy store :).

10. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Found (2) MP10 powerheads for $400. One is BNIB and the other was taken out for test fit but never used.

11. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

The videos on Youtube of the Vortechs in action is pretty impressive.

12. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Would they be enough for a 40gal? I haven't had enough time to look up the GPH. What is the recommended turnover? I saw somewhere that its 50x but I don't know what the time span is on that. Given that GPH is measured per hour, I'd assume that turnover is recommended per hour but 1450gph for a 29gal. seems large.