Pasty's JBJ28 Haddoni Biotope--New Video (7.4.2014)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Pastey, Jun 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

I will definitely take that into consideration.

Even though I am reading/researching, I still get that "flying by the seat of my pants" sensation that makes me 2nd guess myself.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Oh it will be like that for along time.

I just didn't want you to purchase 2 and have to return them.

When I first got one, I though oh perfect a Koralia designed for nano tanks, but I was disappointed by the flow.

Perhaps one nano and a higher GPH on the other will give you some nice options in flow and corals/invert placement.

4. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Speaking of flow, what are the goals for flow direction/placement? I know all tanks are different so the answer may be a bit vague but that's alright.

I know my goal is to create good movement and turnover but, in the lamest of terms, where do I point the damn things? Such a simple question with a potentially complex and varying answer.

5. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Flow serves at least two important functions. It keeps detritus from settling. It also provides corals with food and oxygen while taking away waste.

Turbulent flow is better than constant directional flow. I point mine at the surface or at each other to try and provide a good spread of turbulence throughout the tank. You'll find different corals have different flow requirements and need to be placed accordingly.

6. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

The current vs. turbulence was exactly what I was trying to get at but was unable to properly relay. Thank you!

Do you have your power heads near the top of the bottom?

I apologize for all the questions...I have, literally, tons. I'm trying to keep it mild :D

7. Corailline

Luckily, as with most power heads now a days, position is made easy. You are just going to have play around with them for awhile.

Bubble tip anemones will usually pick a spot where they like the flow the most regardless of how you try to pre-arrange it for them. They will wonder around until it just right for them. Tentacles swaying around but not too forcibly. Having a little too much is better than not having enough.

As you place more corals or inverts and they grow you will again have to reposition them. You should for the most part want to have good surface agitation and flow around the live rock. In nano's this is fairly easy because the flow bounces back off the opposing wall secondary to the size of the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Your welcome.

Usually near the top. When they are near the top they cause surface agitation while still creating a good amount of under current.

Another good spot to have a PH is on the bottom pointing behind the rock structure. Having them near the bottom helps keep detritus suspended.

10. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

I'll just get 4 or 5 and all my creatures can live in whirlpool luxury (kidding, of course).

Clone, I'm in the process of reading your 40g build thread. That thing looks great. I'm hoping to get as lucky with my live rock.

11. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Corailline, your 28g build thread is loooong. You have a lot more invertebrates than I intend to but it is VERY impressive. You mind giving me a quick run-down of your setup? If it's in that thread, I have not come across it or completely missed it altogether. Much appreciated.

12. Corailline

The last 10-15 pages are probably the most relevant. But a lot worthless information at well.

With regard to AIO (all in one) tanks, I have had most brands. And successfully kept BTA's for a number of years in them. Currently I am only running one tank and that is dominated by small polyp stony corals as you may have noticed, by looking at my thread.

With my focus on SPS corals I am no longer keep anemones or many inverts.

Within this thread is an image of an AIO tank and some BTA and other corals.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/inverts/why-do-bubble-anemones-change-bubbles-none-105107.html