Parrot Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by oceansurf, Mar 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I have 1 small parrot fish in a 15 gallon aquarium. I realize it will grow larger. Will it do well, if I add nothing else ? My LPS said it would be fine.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I would have to say no. Most parrot fish get any where from 1" to 4" in length. How big is it now? They are also entirely not reef safe so no hermits, snails or corals. I don't think it has any where near the room it requires and unhappy fish lead to unhealthy fish.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Guitarman, I believe that Salty is talking about freshwater parrots unless he/she has started this thread in the wrong forum. Either way, freshwater parrots get pretty darned big too so I wouldn't suggest keeping one in such a small tank.

5. oceansurf

He was talking about a fresh water parrot in a 15 gallon aquarium. He said he has a large one that is doing fine.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

He meaning you? What happened to the small one? Has it grown large since you first posted?

7. oceansurf

Are parrot fish hard on plants ? I have a lot in my 30 gallon & would like to put some with the parrot fish.

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I would say clumsiness would be your biggest worry. I'm assuming you are talking about "blood parrot cichlids"?

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i think that was the lfs guy, i think he calls it a Local Pet Store or LPS(btw this is a type of coral and will cause confusion)

i think it will be ok if it is the sole fish, i would give it a place to hide though

11. starangel59

starangel59 Plankton

yes parrot cichlids are very hard on plants ...I have faced their clumsiness many times . you can't use cabamba or foxtail kind of plants if you have parrot cichlids.But you can try Amazon Sword because it's a hard kind of plant.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  12. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

How many parrots do you have??