Parents on Vacay and now tank's messing up

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Justine, Jan 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Justine

Justine Plankton

Hey Tom,

Funny you should ask... I had just taken from my Mom and Dad a huge stack of magazines so I can read up on reef tanks and saltwater fish, because, yes I do want to get my own. My dad has about 7 or 8 tanks all together and he has a few that are sitting idle, which I thought I'd take home.

My cat would love them!~ ;)

The tank we just recently had a catastrophe with was, I beleive, 155 or 175 Gallon, and he has three or four other ones that range from 40-95 Gallons. I'd have my fair share of space and he even has some little fish in the other tanks he said he'd give me to "get mine started."

I think this has been a pretty good learning experience for me, and now I know enough of the basics to start my own. My main concern is the expense of the hobby... and as I'm already well aware, the time and effort that goes into the tanks.

I still cannot thank you guys enough for all your help!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

You are going about it the right way in reading and researching. Really, the hobby doesn't take up as much time and isn't as difficult as people make it out to be, unless they heard your story(hahaha, I guess we can laugh about it now after the fact)!
    As for the expense aspect of it, there are ways of cutting corners without neglecting the livestock in your tank!!!Shopping around for sales and knowing what you want as far as coral etc. are concerned will help you decide on the right equipment. Also, things like using a regular fan instead of a chiller to cool your water help cut costs as well...things like that will help you atleast to start with, to keep your expense down somewhat- Not going to sugar coat it to much, because, yes the hobby is pricey...just the decisions you chose will dictate how dramatic that $$$$$$ figure will be!
    Good luck...

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Glad to hear the remander of the fish and inverts are doing fine. Make sure you or Dad post us some pics on the tank and filtering system. Job well done, I think Dad will be proud of his son. :)

5. Justine

Justine Plankton

Actually, Otty, it would be his daughter he'd be proud of! lol!! ;D No hard feelings, though, beleive me... you had no way of knowing!

I did take some pics. last night of the tank with my Mom's camera so as soon as she gets them uploaded I'll post them on here. I had left my camera at home. I tried to get a pic of the Trigger fish and a nice clean shot of the HUGE oyster or clam, whichever it is. His tanks so big it was difficult to get some good clean shots of the whole take because I couldn't ge the zoom to focus in properly.

I'm sure you're all well aware of just how damn hard it is to try and photograph a swimming fish...! ::) ::) ::)

6. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Good job Justine, you did good, and remember you can always use us to help you learn more about the hobby. Were here to answer any question!!

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Sorry for the assumption. I will word my replies better next time. ;D I guess Mom and Dad are back now and I hope the tank is still doing well. Have Dad give us a thread someday. c ya