Parasite or not?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Sh0ckbyte, May 29, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sh0ckbyte

Sh0ckbyte Astrea Snail

Ok, so my new LR have brought a LOT of stuff with them, some very interesting, some, perhaps not as much. This falls into the "I think I remember seeing that this is a parasite" while browsing one of the coral sites, but I can't find the page I was looking at. :-X

Anyone know what this is, and whether it's a parasite? If so, how do I get rid of it. This LR has been in my tank for less than a week, and has grown to about the size of a penny. (if you stretch the tentacles outward) That alone has me worried that he's parasitic.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

That looks like aptasia to me and yes, they are a nuisance. They multiply like rabbits.

You can try and get rid of them with "Joe's Juice" injecting the solution with a syringe into its center, or a couple of other alternatives many members in here have tried successfully. Do a search for aptasia on the forum. Whatever you do DO NOT try to pull them out with tweezers or the like.

Good luck.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor