Paranoid about my Clam Plz help!

Discussion in 'Clams' started by jay02483, Mar 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jay02483

jay02483 Bristle Worm

i was reading up on mantle extension and it can be too far if its reaching for light. and now im paranoid! lol how do u tell if ur clams mantle is over extending or if its just normal extension, how far should it hang over the shell?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Depends on the clam. Hard to tell by the pic, but I assume we are looking at a maxima? Or is it a crocea?

4. jay02483

jay02483 Bristle Worm

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

It looks OK to me. But my experience with them is limited, I haven't kept mine for all that long.
    What kind of lighting do you have it under? How big is it?

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Well without knowing more, I think your crocea looks fine. I have had mine for about 9 months and it opens about that much. When I first heard about the mantle extension I was paranoid too, to me, it looks fine.

7. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

mine looks just like yours and has looked like that for years imo yours is fine

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

if it is maintaining color I wouldn't worry. Usually when they aren't getting enough light, the mantle will become somewhat transparent. Your's is beautiful

10. jay02483

jay02483 Bristle Worm

thats what i thought, thats why i hate reading things online because then i automatically thing my tank has that problem and freak out!

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You new guys all suffer from Internet informational overload . A crocea that purple like color also requires less light then many other color variations as do about all clams that color. That clam looks great maybe some time it may need to be F/W dipped for pyramid snails ? But its a simple fix to a common problem . Also remember when reading most of the crap around the net its mostly posted by people who are just repeating what their last book told them to think and a knee jerk reaction to that information will cause you large problems . Find yourself a trusted source of info and follow it .

Also never saw any mention of lighting type looks O.K from the photo but lack of light will kill it and it may take a yr or more for it to happen one day it will look great the next all you will see is gaping shell with a little meat hunk inside..it happens that fast.

12. connemark

connemark Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thats why 3reef is my choice for info. Other places tend to noob bash way too much.