Parameters

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by kalen82, Dec 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kalen82

kalen82 Astrea Snail

I've had a reef tank for about 8 months now and no-one has given me a straight answer as to what the recommended parameters are. I've done a Google search as well and am not able to find a consistent chart on what there are. So is there anyone out there who can tell me what the recommended parameters should be from A - Z. I've been on various forum and no one gives me a straight answer. Everyone's answer is to go here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/ .

So can someone help me out or am I going to get sent to the same website here.

Now with all that said I do apologize for coming of unpleasant. I'm just frustrated that no body can spend 5 - 10 minutes typing out the range for the water parameters.

Thank you for your time

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Kalen you're over thinking this. The ranges for NSW, normal salt water that are listed on that great link are a perfect guide.

What my goals or preference might not apply to your system, but they are common values.

SG: 1.025-27
    Temp: 78-80 F
    Calcium: 350-450.
    Alkalinity: 7-10 dkh.
    I do not monitor pH but if I did anything between 8.0-8.6, basically I would become concerned for values consistently below 7.8.
    Magnesium: 1350-1450, I like a higher values because I see less algae growth.

As long as your values are falling close that is ok.. It's better to have consistent values, with few swings than it is to have text book values with even moderate swings,

Billme, mdbostwick and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

5. kalen82

kalen82 Astrea Snail

Thank you very much that is all that I was looking for

Corailline likes this.
  6. kalen82

kalen82 Astrea Snail

I want to say something to everyone. I really appreciate the fast response to my question. I have been on various forum asking the same question and it seemed like I would get the run around. When all I look for is a simple answer. So I'm impressed with the fast response. Now I need to post about the settings for my hydra 52 leds, which is for another thread.

Thank you again all.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You're welcome. It can be a tad daunting even to someone not starting out too. I have to learn LED jargon, and a whole host of other things. At least now there are two of us with the AI Hydra 52 to bounce things off of.

8. Click Here!

9. kalen82

kalen82 Astrea Snail

True very true. I've read many pages of settings on various others forums and I go crazy trying to figure out everything. Why can't there just be a starting point that reflects how many light you have, how high they are and the size of your tank. I know that would be to simple

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

What you have to understand is that no one really knows what the ideal spectrum is.Add to that the fact that led technology in reef tanks is still in its infancy.
    If you figure it out please be sure to share it.:)

11. kalen82

kalen82 Astrea Snail

I was afraid someone would say something like that. So many variables that there is no true answer as of yet. Would love to be the person to solve that problem.

12. kalen82

kalen82 Astrea Snail

I have to say there seems to be more noticeable activity on this forum. I'm on a few others and don't really get this many replies in one day within a short amount of time. Normal I have to wait a few days before I hear anything about what I've posted