Par30 vs. Par38

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Va Reef, May 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

sorry for ANOTHER lighting thread, but im just wondering what would be better for an 8 gal, i really dont want 2 par30s but certain people have told me that 1 will be enough. on the other hand, i've heard 1 wont be enough, and that if i really want only one, i should upgrade to a Par38. im really confused.

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

like i said both will be good over that tank, if this was a 12 gallon nano tank maybe a par30 wouldnt be enough for some really light eating sps but in an 8 gallon? that tank is tiny and these things give out tons of light so it would work fine.

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

If your worried about it get the par 38 from rapid, it has 7 led rather than 5. The par30 would probably be enough tho.

5. Tadpole1mill

Tadpole1mill Purple Spiny Lobster

someone correct me if i'm wrong but my understanding is that the par prefix refers to optics, difference in "parabola" size not in the actual output of the bulb. To find that out, look at the specs, see what brand they use, what their driven at, and how many leds in the bulb.

6. Tadpole1mill

also note that you might need 2 not because one isn't "enough" light but because depending on what optics you choose, the spred might not reach the entirety of the tank footprint.

7. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I dont know all the specifics but i believe this to be true. the number in Par30 or par38 refers to the diameter of the bulb (i think)....so a a par 38 would be bigger that a par30. Rapid led's par 38 has 7 bulbs while other companies might have 5. it all depends on the company. you should check out 3 companies if you leaning towards a par bulb. 1)boostled, 2)Rapid Led, and 3)orphek. (these were all i could think of, i know there are more). make sure you check out your optics too, 40 degress will focus the light more while 60 degree will provide more spread.

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

oh true, so if i got the 38 from rapid, thats 7 bulbs, and i could raise it higher to get a better angle? is there a math matical equation that could tell me how high i need the light to be if i know the dispersement angle and the length of the base?

ok so at 40 degrees despersmant it would need to be 24.75....." above the tank, in order for the light to cone out and hit all of the tank water.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

just till it looks like most the tank is lit.

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

ok this is definitely my choice:
    (New) 7 LED PAR38 Bulb

is that good enough? if i got the 60 degree dispersment version, it would only have to be 16" above the tank.

12. Tadpole1mill

Dont forget nanocustoms :) the reason i went with them is they drive their led's almost at max, and the blue leds at over the max 3w :p

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?products_id=698

the wattage consumption is higher then even most 7led bulbs because the led's are driven harder :)