PAR Readings

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by ZachB, Jan 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

That would be very cool. How do you like the galaxy ballasts so far?

2. Click Here!

3. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

hahaha!!

Handy perk indeed! Now you just need a lux meter and you'd be all set ;D

4. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

So far great. Like the build of em. Plus you cant top a 5 year warranty.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Well, if you're looking for maximum PAR or PUR, then you'll have to replace the reflectors as well. What you thought you were saving by getting an Odyssea, is now going away. Depending on what you're keeping, it might not make a difference. My answer is based on the assumption that you want the highest PAR possible.

That's kind of like buying a car and saying I will save money by buying this model but I have to change the engine, the chassis, and the transmission to get what I want.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Lux meters are useless for reefers. You want a PAR meter.

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Show me a 2x250 halide fixture that's under $550 shipped with actinics? I knew I would need to replace the ballasts - no thinking I was saving anything involved. I understand the reflectors are a contributing factor as well, but everyone agrees the bulb is underpowered, which will lower PAR as well. I will not always get the maximum output, but I will not pay $800+ for a fixture and I do not have a canopy to do a retro. After buying replacement ballasts, my total cost (not counting bulbs, those don't count) will still be under $600.

And yes, some people buy cars and then change the engine, transmission, etc. I would like a hot muscle car - so I will buy a '67 Camaro and then change the engine, transmission, etc., and have one sexy ride.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Works out well... cheaper plus you get better ballasts and bulbs compared to other stock fixtures. (excluding giesseman, icecap, etc)

1 person likes this.
  10. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

lol I was just messin' around ;D

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's NOT the way I would do it. However, I personally know 5 victims of the fires that Odyssea caused. Yes, I'm aware that this sad saga is behind them, but the same company you like for their 5 year warranties, did NOTHING for those 5 people (nor the 100's of other people who had fires that I did not know personally).

Different strokes for different folks. I would NEVER recommend an Odyssea fixture because I know their history.

12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I guess since every major auto manufacturer has had some pretty nasty recalls in their history, we won't buy any of those anymore either. ;)

Different strokes indeed. Past is the past. I haven't burned my house down yet. At least, no hazard from my tank. There was this incident with a pizza though ...

Galaxy puts the 5 year warranty on their ballasts, not Odyssea. There are plenty of other folks on the forum that use them as well with no issues.

Back to par readings. Anyone else have some readings / ballasts / bulb/ reflector combos to share?