Pairing clowns

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by closeyetfar, Dec 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. closeyetfar

closeyetfar Astrea Snail

I got a new clown yesterday in hopes to pair it with the other that I have had. The new one is about half the size of the other one. As soon as I put the little guy in the female nipped and the little guy submitted right away. This happened a few times but now they just keep away from eachother most of the time. I know its still early to be expecting great results but I was wondering if anyone knows how long it will take on average for them to act like a mated pair? They are percula clowns in a 10 gallon FOWLR

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Could take a while. Just wait it out and see - they may nip at each other a bit but if they're meant to be, they'll pair up.

4. closeyetfar

closeyetfar Astrea Snail

Yeah the big one nips at the little one every now and then but other than that they dont really swim around together

5. xeddyboi420x

xeddyboi420x Bristle Worm

is that all you have in your 10 gal? whats your setup?

6. Snowby

Snowby Astrea Snail

I too added a false perc. after my initial female died. I added a larger one hoping that the original wouldn't need to regender. Upon adding her she immediately started to nip at the smaller male. Got him good on the gill. Thought I might loose him but after a day of picking she settled in and left him alone. For the first few weeks they didn't sleep together, but now I've noticed they spend part of the night together at the top and then she heads to another spot around 1 am. It has only been 3 1/2 weeks, but they are spending more and more time together at night. Both by the way were tank raised. I believe give it time and they will hopefully pair. Good luck and be patient...:)

7. botie

botie Feather Duster

i got another perc clown after the one died and the female that i had in the tank nipped at the new one i put in the tank it took a good 5 months before they started hanging together alot and now they are hosting my umbrella coral it takes time but they should mate up i know mine took awhile

8. Click Here!

9. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

If by "acting" like a mated pair you mean, just swimming together and sleeping together, it could be overnight or it could take a few months. Usually pretty quick. But if you mean spawning, now that can take a lot more time.

10. xeddyboi420x

xeddyboi420x Bristle Worm

i just got 2 clowns as well... and they can't seem to leave each other! one is just slightly larger than the other... what do you think are my chances??