Pagoda Coral

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by arizonagrace, Oct 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. arizonagrace

arizonagrace Astrea Snail

I got a pagoda coral as a gift maybe a week ago. Slowly acclimated it to my tank (12 gal aquapod). Sometimes the holes open, but haven't seen anything out of them at all. It sits a little higher then 1/2 way up on a rock and has plenty of light and a good flow. As this is an aquapod, there is little ways to lower flow in it.

The water parameters are all good, checked daily. Temp is 78.

I set this tank up about 2 days before the pagoda was introduced, but used all the items from a previous 12 gallon that had cracked. All rock, filters, cheato, and some of the sand was used. I check the params and they are good. I added live sand when setting this one up to help it a bit.

The only thing I can think is I have a bicolor goby who likes to hide underneath. I don't think it is a problem. A maiden's hair was added at same time, and it does some shedding (moved it to the side of a rock), but otherwise looks good.

2. Click Here!

3. arizonagrace

4. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

what type of lighting do you have?

5. Godbert

also by adding more live sand you may have thrown your tank into a new cycle

6. arizonagrace

It is a 12 gallon aquapod. Would it be better to move this coral to my 24 gallon which is doing well? All the corals in there are thriving.

I have checked the parameters as I do all the tanks at least 3 times a week. Yesterday and today's readings came out good. I do small water changes each week, and tomorrow is the water change day for this tank.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  7. Godbert

move it to the 24 but acclimate it, keep testing the 12 and see if your tank goes through another cycle, how many watts of light do you have?

8. Click Here!

9. arizonagrace

The watts are: 1 27 watt daylight (6700/10,000) and 1 27 watt actinic.

I will move it tomorrow to the 24 and acclimate by drip method well before placing it inside.

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I have found my pagoda does not like intense light and likes minimal flow. It looks the best when I have it in the sand. My tank is 21 inches deep and I run PCs right now. It opens up nicely. Now, it did take a solid two weeks for it to fully acclimate to my tank, so be patient. It will come around, just give it a chance to get used to the new water conditions. Mine is very particular.

11. arizonagrace

My lights aren't very intense, but the flow is a bit strong no matter where in the tank i place anything. I tried to move the nozzles more up towards the top of the water, but it is hard with the way they have them set up. I could move it towards the bottom of the tank in front and see if that is better for it. The flow would be a little less. If it doesn't pick up in a couple more days, I will move it a little lower. The goby is going to be heartbroken. He finds the underneath of it a nice bed. :)