Pacu

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by BMXCLAY, Jan 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BMXCLAY

BMXCLAY Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a pacu in a 180 gallon tank.....It isnt neccessarily mine...but its at my dads office and i maintain it......any idea on max size

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

They can get to be about 30" long and weight over 50lbs. They also grow at an alarming rate. I had some that grew about 3" in a couple months! Whoever introduced them to the aquarium trade then convinced Wal-Mart to carry them should be shot!

4. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

Those things get very large, most adults range from 18-24" some even larger.

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Mine got to dinner plate size in less than a year.. Cool fish regardless..

6. cyan0304

cyan0304 Flamingo Tongue

24" is an understatement. They have an article on pacu fish in the Tropical Fish magazine this month. It says in the magazine that pacu fish should not be in any home/household aquarium. They get huge! It said in the article that they saw a school of pacus in a fish museum/aquarium thing( sorry, here in Chicago its called the shedd aquarium) that were 4 feet tall! LFS do not take them once they've grown. It's almost imposible to get rid of them.

7. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I had 2 pacu for about a year. Bought them when they were the size of a quarter. Gre to over 12" within the year in a 125 gallon. Expect them to max out around 18". Thats not long, thats top to bottom and long. A LFS near me has a 800 gal with about 20 pacu in it. There largest is over 2 feet and its 6 years old.