P.A.R. Values and Zooxanthellae

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Diver_1298, Feb 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

yep, sure does. its the corals way to release their toxins and cool themselves

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

just in case anyone was wondering with 2-250w hqi 10k supplemented with current 2-96w pc 420nm/460nm using coralife magnetic ballasts the par values are as follows:

distance measured from bulb height to the point in the water where the meter is.

brand name: 16" par value, 20" par value

reeflux: 260,200
    aqualine ab: 330,260
    sps blue: 340,310

4. df186

df186 Plankton

Quick Question, this may be too amaturish.. but does anyone know if too much light can cause ammonia spikes? or cause the take to get dirty? i had a case where all my levels were fine except for my ammonia... and after 7 hours of my light being on.. i had brownish/purple dust on my glass.. like to the point that i cant see through it.. and all i did different was install this light "Current USA SunDial HQI Pendant 1x150W 10K HQI / 2x32W Dual SunPaq Actinics "

oh.. and since installing this light... it raises my temperature 2 degrees over the course of 7 hours.. i have it on a 35gal hex tank...

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but the brown stuff you were seeing on the glass is diatoms, one of if not the simplest "algaes" encountered in tanks.
    The light could only cause an NH3 spike if it killed abunch of inverts via temp spike or photo shock...The dead inverts would then cause the spike...

6. Ricardo_Jorge

Ricardo_Jorge Astrea Snail

Very good thread.

Diver,

you know about how many PAR a 250w 10.000k MH has?
    What´s the recommended avg PAR for SPSs?

Hi Mike,

you said that too much light can cause problems for corals. How can i know if my ilumination is ok or not?

Hug

7. Nikon Samurai

Nikon Samurai Bristle Worm

I wonder if that is what happends to Xina's when they die at random. We generally put them in the highest flow areas close to light. Could faster moving molicules add to the level of chimical exchange? Just a thought...

8. Click Here!

9. Ricardo_Jorge

Ricardo_Jorge Astrea Snail

10. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Most SPS in the wild grow in the area of 200-300 uMol/m2/sec.... Granted I have seen tanks with SPS at about 700 or more.... Knowing when to say enough is the key...

11. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

yes it does up to 20 times greater amplification due to rippling surface waters and then muddy water detracts light intensityl
    glass sheets absorb 60 percent par and acrylic absorb 40 percent.

12. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

great thread about PAR, but where exactly can someone get a device tp measure PAR? im sure they are not cheap...