Ozone

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by mattb57, Sep 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Should I get a ozone reactor or does it just over complicate things?

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

It would be the last thing on my list of things to consider. If you already have a great skimmer, a working fuge, great carbon and gfo reactors, and are doing regular water changes and are still looking for a way to break up more organics. Then at that time it's worth considering.

4. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Yeah lol I'm not there yet. I guess it would be worth it if I had a very large bio load. I have no way of attaching one on my current setup but I figured it would be worth asking for the future.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

It's never a necessity IMO. Of all options to reduce waste, it would be the very last one I would resort to.

6. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Yeah I read about it in a few books and honestly I still don't totally understand exactly how to remove it. They explained very well how to make it and use it but when it comes to removing it they don't say much.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

What do you mean? Is your skimmer already hooked up with an Ozone reactor?

8. Click Here!

9. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Oh no I have a little hang on skimmer that has a UV sterilizer and carbon filter built in. I have a canister filter as well. I have never worked with ozone before

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Oh, ok. Good deal. Yeah, then I wouldn't worry with it. Especially not on any tank that can use a HOB skimmer. Ozone is typically used for very large tanks. When your tank is 3-4foot or more front to back the clearness of the water gets to be more and more important. Ozone is great for that.

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

ozone is VERY difficult to control and can wreck havic on a tank in a blink of an eye, especially if you dont know how to work it.

12. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Lol yeah I def. don't know how to deal with ozone. I wasn't really considering it that much, but I do want a lot of fish so it could be something to think of one day.