Overgroth of alge

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mirandacollc, Sep 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have been scrolling through the alge pages and trying to get some understanding of what is making my alge so bad. I have a 220 gallon reef tank its been running for 8 months now and I have had green alge then a red slime outbreak and now everything looks like it has rust on it. I had been buying ro water from my lps and then bought a 4 stage ro unit. All my water parameters are where they should be other then calicum level is at380 and im raising that as we speak. I guess being new I bought all good equpiment but dont know what do do in this situation? I dont have a air pump in the tank and was also wondering if that is something that should be in the tank or if the air from the protien skimmer and the cirucliation of the sump produce enough air? I dident know if that might be the source of alge Shot in the dark but im new to this hobby. I thought having a 250 gallon fresh water tank for so long that it wouldent be so bad to do salt. I am hooked and trying to better understand... Any imput please.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Kas

Kas Bristle Worm

What kind of equipment are you running and how did you cycle your tank?

4. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Exactally...

How about some pictures....much easier to diagnose....nix on the bubble machine.
    220 gallon to start? .... Otty would be proud of ya !!
    Good equipment and good intentions don't get it done.
    Send some photos...give us Actual readings ..currently.
    When do you do this... when do you do that.... etc.
    It can be worked out...you came to the right place.
    LG

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

could the rust possible be coralline algae?

6. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I tried to post pictures it tells me they are to big. The calcium is 380 and rising it was 320. The amonia is 0 the nitrates and nitrites are 0 the ph is 8.4 salinity is 1.021 0 phosphates it not showing any color on my phosphate test. Mag is correch kh is good so I am lost. It literally looks like hair and rust on everything there was a post about diatoms going last week with a picture and that is what it looks like other then its not just in the sand but on the rock. I have about 275 lbs of rock in the tank and am worried that its not ever going to look good again. I am mixing water today to do a 30 gallon w/c tommorrow. As for maintaince I wipe the inside of the glass to keep it clean everyday. I check water every three days untill I get to a point that I feel I can spread it out to weekly. I have sundial lights 4 bulbs on each side. Running a aquaclear 300 wet/dry with 2 mag pumps to push my water 4 korala4 to cirulicate the water. My protein skimmer is one that is also pro-clear I run the lights for approx 7 hrs a day run lunar lights at night. I think I covered everything I have pictures if someone can help me resize them I can get them here. I really do appericiate everyones help here and please understand I dident realize I needed to be a scienctist to read some of these tests. I have only a few fish in the tank and have the intention of making it a full reef tank once its ready and I understand how everything works. Again thanks for all who help.

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Also I let the tank run for a week when new with the salt water only and added all the lr at one time. I then waited for the tank to cycle for 8 weeks I aded a couple damsels after 4 weeks to get that cycle started. NowI have a large sailfin tang 2 clowns a goby and the damsels. I had a naso but it got picked on and died before I had a hospital tank fully running....

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Try this:
    Resize Images online

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

phptwRn9QPM.jpg
    phpwWh1FjPM.jpg

Ok got them here are a few and ill get a couple more its on the rocks really bad

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I'm about as new as you are, so I'm wandering what not to do.

Curious if you have algae eaters in your tank? hermits, snails, tangs ect.

12. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

phpwWh1FjPM.jpg
    phptwRn9QPM.jpg
    phpXVbhRMPM.jpg

I have about 30 turbo snails had two arrow crabs but they ate the feather dusters so now they are gone back to pet store.

Attached Files: