Overflow VS Drilled

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by techno2, Sep 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

It could mean that, but in my use, I meant an ancillary, or extra drain pipe.;)

2. Click Here!

3. Seabeast

Seabeast Flamingo Tongue

I wont have a back up, so would you recommend this durso pipe or just a straight drain pipe with a screen and filter on it.

4. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Well I got a qutoe for my LFS and they are saying 330 for a 100 gallon 48 x 20 x 24 new with two overflow boxes and two holes in each box one for suction and one for return. I am unsure if I should go this way or do the Glass-Holes.com way and just get a basic aquarium?

5. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Either way will work fine, but I would oversize your drain line for the GPH the return pump is putting in the tank (minus head loss of course) The straight or open top style drain pipe will probably be easier to see if anything is attempting to block the drain, but both would be fine. The other thing is how much room or aesthetically how it will look when done. I have never seen anyone put a screen on a durso, so theoretically a snail or something could get in the drain and possibly block the drain with a durso, but I have yet to see that happen.

Are you drilling the bottom, or the side or back?? If you are doing anything but the bottom drilling (and I wouldn't) I would use the elbow like the first pic I posted with that corner frag tank. Just add a screen to the inside of the fitting to keep surfers out.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

How much would the basic tank be? Add the cost of the glass-holes overflow to that and see if it is worth it to you.

8. Click Here!

9. Seabeast

Seabeast Flamingo Tongue

Yeah i have a bottom drilled internal over flow. I think i like the straight pipe with a screen better, like you said i will be able to see if anything is blocking it.

10. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

That is what I was thinking with going with glass holes or maybe make my own overflow like a copy cat glass holes?

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

You can easily make your own overflow, but glass-holes makes it easy and has everything including the bit in the kit.

That said, it is a very common size hole that the 1" bulkheads need to fit in.