Overflow VS Drilled

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by techno2, Sep 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

That 110 should be pretty sweet. I read this whole thread cause I'm trying to decide if I should start up another tank, a 10 gal.

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I felt the same way till I put 7 holes in the back of my 75, 2 holes in a 29 and 2 in 4 in a 33 long. Its actually simple and kind of fun, or at least I thought so. I thought about taking it to my LSF but they want 20 bucks a hole so I figured what the H3ll I try it. Saved myself $220 smackers!

But if I could I would have bought the new one also, just so I could have another tank, LOL

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You should use a lite oil and some plumbers putty and or a wax rig to form a dam to hold the oil in the cutting area . Keeps bit cooler and better lubricated and as for the guide once you score the glass its all free hand . I do them all free handed I send a little drill press for the guys borrowing my bits . But the oil will remove the bit wanting to grab and jump . Plus you won't have to stop or spray water , just keep the bit spinning and lift a little to allow cool oil to fill the cutting ring. 3&1 or motor oil or transmission fluid or even cooking oil will do.. Never use plain water it does not cool that well.

5. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Well here to bring up an old thread I am going to be getting a 100 gallon tank 48 x 24 x 24 I have told the fish store that I want two corner overflows with two holes drilled in each bottom one fro suction and one for return. Now at 20 a pop it is going to be a little more then expected but they will temper it after they drill so that is a good thing. Any way I had read a little while back that you need to add a siphon break for your return why is that? and how do you do it? also would it just easier to drill from behind like gla$$holes.com style or just pay the extra and get it drilled from the bottom?

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I would not have the bottom drilled, and have the back upper corner(s) drillled. You can do it yourself.

Bottom drilled tanks usually have an overflow that extends to the bottom, and that will eat up a ton of floorspace.

You could simply run a standpipe and have no additional weir or bulky overflow piece, but IMHO, drilling the back corners wold be the best way and you can do a coast to coast style overflow.

Yes, run a siphon break on the return. Simply take a small drill, and drill one hole the return line just below water level inside the tank and that will be your safety check. Remember to do a periodic check( 1x a month or so) and clean that hole out to make sure it will operate when needed.

7. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

That is what I was thinking about the standpipe is how much space it will take up I guess I will just drill the back corners one on each side with a suction and return in each box I will make the box myself gla$$holes.com is great but a little pricy for me. I think I can just make my own box and with the return saftey check cant you drill more then 1 hole to be extra safe or is that overkill... also with the box's for the overflow I plan on putting some gutter guard inside just above the holes to prevent anything from getting in just in case something does make it over the teeth.

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

One 1" overflow return pipe per corner will be more than adequate. Heck one 1" schedule 40 tubing will flow just under 1000gph. On my tank, I have one 1" return doing all the work, and the second is slightly higher as a back up. You can easily make your own with a bulkhead and a weir of some sort, and either use a sure grip magnet, or silicone it on.

Heck, you could just have no real "overflow box" and just use the tube, with a bit of gutter guard rolled up and inserted into the open end of the pvc. I have seen a few setups like this and they work with no issue. If you do it this way, simply oversize the pvc fitting on the top.

see the ones in this pic?

[​IMG]

10. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Holy Frag Tank Bat Man!!!!!! Is that one yours?

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

No, not mine, but one of our local club's tanks from last weekends WRS meeting. He has more, that is one of the small ones. Let me post up....

yeah zjpeter... you missed out by not getting to this meeting.