Overflow VS Drilled

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by techno2, Sep 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Looking for Pros and Cons of Drilled vs OverflowBox.

If you have a tank that is not drilled you need to drill or use an overflowbox.

The only advantage I see Of the drilled is that you eliminate any chances of the OverflowBox breaking down as you dont have one.

Are there any performance differences ? ANything else to add here ?

\Cheers

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Drilled tanks will allow more flow due to using gravity and pressure of the water to force the water through a standpipe.

Drilled is by far the better way to go hand down. All it takes is a OF box to get clogged one time and you will see how much of a mess it can make real quick.

4. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Isn't there chances that the drilled type could clog ?
    For the return pump, could it be placed on a pedestal of sorts in the sump just below the surface so that if the intake stops, the return pump would only send a half to a gallon to the main tank ?

What is the failsafe on a drilled tank if the return pump fails ?
    With the OFB, the draining stops when it gets to the U Tubes end.

Thanks

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

It won't clog if you use some sort of a strainer. If you put a return pump in that shollow of water you had better have a reliable ATO working or you will burn the pump up.
    The height of your standpipe sets the height of the water in the OF chamber and will only let a certain amount water when power goes out.

6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

I'm watching this thread.......I am yet to pull the trigger!
    HOB / Drilled?

7. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

We are going Drilled - With Tornado's and crappy power here in Arkansas - I don't trust having to "prime my over-flow" just to get water out. With a drilled tank, when my sump/fuge comes back on and the water rises in my main tank, it will go out of the tank with out having to "prime" anything. Flawless in my view.

8. Click Here!

9. papareef

papareef Feather Duster

Of

Hand up vote for drilled from me,it's the way to go....

10. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Ahh, standpipe. That was what I was missing. Now I C whay it wont drain the whole tank.

As for the return, I guess if I had to go HOB overflow, and if it stands a chance of clogging, I would rather burn the pump out than have it keep draining. Just looking for the fail-safes here.

So it seemes that a drilled is a better setup as it is designed that way.
    The question I huess comes down to, do you go through the hassle of drilling or taking your tank somewhere to be drilled, or go the HOB route.

When I empty the 90 gallon, I will make the call at that time.

Thanks Otty / All

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

12. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Drilled tank is definately the way to go. I got so tired of loosing the prime on my overflow pipes. When I got a drilled tank it was much less hassel. +1 to Otty's advice about not trying to place your return pump just below the surface of your sump. Even before you burn up the pump, you'll have problems with it entraining air and filling your display tank with air bubbles. Not a good thing to do.