Overflow box not flowing (now flowing)

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by Doratus, Mar 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Foam inside the U-Tube!!!! Didnt catch that before - wouldda told you right off the bat to take that off. Can't quite figure out what Eshopps intends on those to be used for . . .

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Never figured that out myself but always knew to remove it.

@OP...I'm very glad you got it corrected and it was an easy fix. I run 3 Eshopps overflows and sure you'll be happy with it.

4. boostednlinefor

boostednlinefor Fire Worm

I found that with none of them in there the overflow box AND the hose drain are both ridiculously loud. With the larger foam on there it only slightly reduces the noise in the box. With the small foam piece INSIDE of the PVC pipe/larger foam piece it makes it nearly silent, but severely reduces flow and would cause the tank to flood over quickly.

Again I'll get a picture when I get home, but I found that if the thin foam is only 75% of the way inserted it made both the overflow box and the drain in the sump much quieter. I used two toothpicks stuck through the thin foam piece to not let it slide down inside the larger foam piece. I then cut a large piece of solid packing foam to fit in the top of the overflow box and it's very quiet now. The loudest part of my whole tank is the water flowing down in to the skimmer box part of the overflow.

I also installed an overflow protection float for my return pump to prevent my tank from flooding if the siphon were to ever fail or not keep up with the return flow. This details that setup http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/diy-display-tank-overflow-return-pump-kill-switch-105442.html

I just ordered a new PF-1000 this morning and will convert it in to a Herbie setup for a perfectly quiet and even safer operation.

5. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

Foam inside the U-tube, lol. anyway, the purpose of that black foam is for packaging purpose to keep the u-tube from cracking during shipment. without it, the u-tube tend to crack easily.

6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Whew - that's a relief - I had Rube Goldberg in my head . . . .

7. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

Now that's funny man, Rube Goldberg.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

Yeah I got it. I even figured an easy way to make the system silent so I'm pretty satisfied. I never doubted the product, I just needed to know what I was doing wrong. ;)

Thanks again!

10. boostednlinefor

Eshopps guy, I think he’s talking about the thin long black foam/filter thing being inside his U-tube not the dense packing foam.

Attached are pictures of my setup. As is it can keep up with my pump turned up to about 200-250gph. It stays pretty quiet and that small center foam piece has the extra benefit of quieting my sump drain. Instead of huge bubbles making large splashing noises in the sump, that foam turns the air in the drain hose into tons of smaller bubbles that don’t make hardly any noise in the sump. They’re large enough that it doesn’t cause any microbubbles too.

Attached Files:

11. boostednlinefor

How did you do it?

Make sure you test a power failure after you silenced it. I found that I can start my overflow box flowing without the small black foam and drop it in the pvc pipe and the flow continues fine, but if I test a power failure when that small foam piece is in there the overflow box can't catch up to the return pump quickly enough and I get flooding.

12. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

interesting, again is really for packaging to keep from u-tube crack.