Overflow box not flowing (now flowing)

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by Doratus, Mar 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I recently got an eshopps PF-300 overflow box and am now using it with a Rio 1400 pump.

Long story short, the overflow box is only flowing at about 20 gallons per hour, which is much less then the 300gph advertised. I think the problem is that I'm using a 3/4 inch pipe to drain the overflow, however, the maximum gravitational flow rate for a pipe that diameter is still much greater than 20gph.

There are no air bubbles in the U tube and there are no restrictions in the overflow line at all aside from distance.

If you have any tips that would be great.

Thank you!
    Doratus

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Moved to sponsor's forum. If members can't figure out your answer, they should be able to.

4. Doratus

Thanks inwall75.

5. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

lower the box that is inside of your aquarium. That will allow more water to flow in there and should make your overflow box faster

1 person likes this.
  6. Doratus

Thank you, however this was one of the first things I tried. Regardless of the water level of my display tank in relation to the overflow box, the flow remains restricted.

7. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

re:

is the U tube filling up with water, or is it only halfway full when it's running?. If it's only half full, then you have air in the U tube. Take it out, put an air line tube in it and prime it again. When I first did mine, it was only half full and I had to prime it again. I'm not trying to say you don't know what you are doing. I'm just trying to help. Here is the video I made yesterday. I have the eshopps pf800.

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

IMO it has nothing to do with the box. It's your pump. For example, on a straight run your head pressure @ 4ft would only be around 240 gph. Add any height, tee's, valves, elbows and that head number drastically changes.
    If you want 300 gph flow through the box you need a pump that will give you 300 gph at the return exit. The box has absolutely nothing to do with determining how many gph flow through your system and the 300 gph listed on the box for the overflow is how many gph it will handle. That is a conservative number too, they'll handle way more but get real noisy.

10. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

reefmonkey is right, the overflow box actually can go higher but we only stated 300 to be conservative.

11. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

we suggested try what other members recommended, make sure the U-tube is primed with water and no air bubbles. I don't really think the 3/4 pipe has anything to do with it as it should never be flow at 20gallons per hrs, guaranteed.

12. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

do you have any control valve to your sump from the overflow box?