Overflow Box Gurgling!

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by SpngBob, Apr 12, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

I got my overflow box used the other day... It was filthy but I cleaned it and after trying forever finally got it siphoning (its alot easier when you ask and acutally know how to do it!!)

It keeps making loud gurgling noises... I put a piece of foam in the tube but then the box just filled up so I laid a piece overtop of it with a small hole in it. This works great but now it makes loud kissing noises about every 30 seconds...

Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey SPongeBOb, where you been, school??

Anyway,

Where's the gurgle coming from? The drain pipe to the sump? or Somewhere before in the overflow?

Got a pic? [smiley=wink3.gif]

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

A little bubble wrap over the top of my prefilter (overflow) did the quiet trick. I took the sponge out of the prefilter as it would be a nitrate trap.

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

The sponge pre filter is a great peice of equipment if used correctly. They need to be in an area wher one can reach them and clean / rinse daily or every other day to keep them from becoming Nitrate traps.

I have seen people use a ball point pen without the ink in it and hang in into the intake "flow" area of the pipe.
    This lets the air out and stops the girggle sound.

Leave the pre filter on and it will stopp after it breaks in. This may take a week.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

No sponges in my tank, too much work! LOL[/]

7. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

I woke up this morning and the overflow box was on the brim and so was my fishtank!!! I took the sponge out;)

And I dont know if I just got sidetracked because of adding all teh water but both of my damsels died today but my starfish and shrimp are fine... I am almost positive that this is because of the salt which was at 1.020 but it was this low before when I was having problems getting salt to level.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

what pump are you using?
    what is the over flow rated GPH for?
    was youe sump over flowing?

10. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

The siphon was filthy when I bought it... Just About Fish the store that sold it to me told me it was in there tanks and then they upgraded to CPR so they had some extras they were selling. I cleaned it really really good. It was seriously disgusting.

I'm not sure what its rated for though. I just use a Fluival 204 to bring the water back into the tank. I did lose some water out of the back of the tank.

The salt is mixing right now. I dont know if maybe the light could have anything to do either. It is 4x36 PC. 2 daylgiht, 2 Actinic........

I bought it for 50 dollars so I am happy but theres a short inside it and its hard to keep it on all the time but since I'm on spring break, everytime it goes out I would hop up and turn it back on. So it was on all day yesterday. I am not sure if this could have done anything, dont kno why it would but this could be a reason for the fishes death, theres nothing else I could think of. Thanks for everyones help

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

So you have no sump?
    the over flow leads to what?
    What ever it is it is not taking the water fast enough from the overflow.

12. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Use the "Anti Gurgler" You need:
    Rigid airline tube
    Small plastic cap Fits into overflow but wont get sucked into drain
    O ring that fits over rigid tubing
    Drill hole in cap
    Put tube through cap
    install O ring on tube on topside of cap
    insert into drain pipe
    Raise or lower tubing till noise stops
    use o ring to hold in place
    It may take a few days to adjust but when right cut tube down to make look ok I.E. not sticking above tank by 2 feet but leave enough so if any adjustments can be made in future

Attached Files: