overflow and return very noisy! Help!

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Sheliaknows, Apr 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

I just built my first sump/fuge. I got a 300GPH overflow from eshopps, a 20G sump and a mag 7 return pump. First thing i noticed when i fired everything up was the pump vibrates like crazy and the base it came with doesnt have suction cups to hold it still. I have for the time being siliconed on 4 suction cups to the pump and will hope it holds. I also noticed my overflow "gurgles" alot. the problem i see with the overflow is that it has the sponge filter around the exit of the overflow and a piece of 5/8 PVC pipe that drops into the exit half way down so that the remainder that sits inside the oveflow will support the sponge and keep it in place. When i take the sponge and pipe out so its just is strait down the noise goes away for a second because the water can drain out solidly with no air if that makes sense??, but now the oveflow can drain faster and soon the water going out is faster that water going in, and the gurgling starts again. i some how need to make this quite or the whole sump project will have to be scrapped because my husband can't stand the noise the new setup is making. i really dont want to get rid of it but it takes away from being able to enjoy it with all the noise.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

not sure it makes a difference but the return pump i'm using is a supreme classic by danner??

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

How high are you moving the water? Sounds to me you have too much flow through the box. What you may need to do is put a tee connection right at the outlet of the pump. With the 'tee' laying on its side. Put a 90* elbow off the tee with a valve on the end of that so it returns right into the sump. Use that valve to control how much flow you have going through the DT and overflow. Once you have it tuned it will be almost silent.:)

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

You can try adding some styrofoam to the top of the overflow box right above where the sponge goes. That should help some, just make sure it is as tight fitting as possible. Also, that pump IMO is too strong for your overflow box, your overflow is probably going 100%, if you add a valve into the return line, then you can slow it down and that should also help some.

5. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

6. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

300 gph drain and a 700 gph pump (less your head pressure). You are probably pumping too much water – if you installed a ball valve on the return choke it back and see if it resolves your gurgling.

7. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

If the suctions cups you glued onto the pump dont stay you could try putting the pump on a piece of neoprene. I use a mag12 and placed some neoprene under it and the noise from the vibration went away. A cheap neoprene computer mouse pad works good. Just cut to fit

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Mag drive pumps are very sensitive to back pressure, they lose alot of useful life if worked with constant restrictions, get overheated which heats the water or they simply burn up. Don't restrict the flow in a manner that causes backpressure.

OP, if you go with a valve to control flow use the tee like I stated above. This way there is 0 back pressure on the pump. Also the styrofoam will reduce noise but not enough imo, it's still there and still annoying. I use the same overflow you do and I run a QuietOne 4000 for a return. That's a 1017 gph pump. My overflow is 3' 4" above the sump and my fuge is the same height up but 3' over as well. My return line is split and one valve controls flow to the DT and fuge. My overflow's are dead silent with the exception of the splash into the sump. A tee and valve in the line will give you the same control over flow in your tank and not hurt your pump. Telgars links look like a good option as well.

10. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

My fix to a slurping overflow box....plastic straw, scrap wood, tape....stick the straw into the center of the tube that goes down into the sump...slurping sound will dissappear..mine isnt visable unless your standing above the tank...which u cant do without a chair..so it isnt pretty, but it works like a charm.

Attached Files:

11. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

can someone possibly make a diagram of the tee with valve suggestion?? i currently have a ball valve on the mag pump but its inline. i have it hardly turned to keep the water level where i want, or i guess i should say little restriction. I was told mag pumps are designed to work with some back pressure but not alot. if i knew more about how it works i think i could do it i just can't picture in my head how you have this setup with the 90 elbow on the its side with the tee and valve? a crude drawing would do

i have a few bends and i am pumping from the floor to the top of my tank which sits 4' 2'' so a mag7 by the pump curve i got is just big enough. the water moves across the fuge quite slow so i am happy to see that, also i have no microbubbles from my sump/fuge going into my DT. The suction cups definitly solved the noisy pump issue its just my overflow which is noisy. I'll try and post a short video of my setup so everyone can see the problems and not have to have me describe it

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.