Unresolved Overdosed alk

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by MarineHobbyist, Jun 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MarineHobbyist

MarineHobbyist Flamingo Tongue

Okay so I've been using Randy's 2 Part Recipe and I mistakenly overdosed on alk and my test reading jumped from 8 to 12 in just a day.

My sps are getting burnt tips and some are bleaching.

I did a 10% water change just today.

Any suggestions on what to do? Will my sps still recover?

Will dipping them in coral rx help? What about in Seachem Reef dip?

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Another water change tonight.

Remember, it's not the Alk level that is hurting your SPS. It was the speed at which the chemistry changed. If you are running GFO or a Biopellet reactor, turn them off for a couple of days. Don't quickly drop the Alk why they are stressed.

Be on the lookout for a dinoflagellate bloom because there's a lot of them floating around in your water right now. (In fact, I would use the search engine and get info on this subject).

4. MarineHobbyist

I just googled it, but the only info I saw was that it would show that I have the bloom when I get water discoloration, or if the algae turn pink to red? Is this correct? So if I don't have discoloration, I'm safe from this?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Is this because they bailed from the sps?

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes, that would be the main source

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Dino's can be yellow, gold, brown, green....but usually brown. Do a search on 3Reef for just the word "Dino". Don't go out to google and search the full word. You are not going to get a red tide in your tank.

Causality is hard to determine. Sometimes a stress enzyme causes the coral to kick them out and sometimes they abandon ship in spite of the coral wanting them to stay......they don't really want to leave the safety of the polyp but if they are stressed enough too, they will take their chances. I don't recall how long it takes but they will re-grow their flagella and go and re-infect another coral.

You'll find this interesting. Some very colorful corals in this hobby ONLY EXIST IN THIS HOBBY. They don't exist in the wild. We are mixing XYZ from the Lembeh Straights with an ABC from the Marshall Islands with a DEF from the Caribbean and then we make a mistake. Now all of the sudden zoox from multiple species and all different clades are all swimming around hoping they get blown into a new polyp or regrowing their flagella and seeking a new polyp (called re-infection).

We're actively making frankensteins with various body parts. LOL

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great description on the unintentional science experiments we are doing.

10. Corailline

You're very correct sir. Extremely interesting.

+1.

11. MarineHobbyist

Just finished reading up on it. Now, I'm scared. How do I prevent it from blooming? All I read so far is to raise PH once dino is present, but how can I prevent it while it's still early?

12. Corailline

I would not be scared, I do not think that was Inwall's intent in the least, just something to consider and be aware of.

If I experienced a dino bloom after every one of my sps bleached I would no longer be in the hobby.