Overdose!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Dubethenewb, Oct 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Boy if that is your tank after all the mishaps of the last couple days it is looking very good.

My imagination had run wild with images of a tank that look MUCH worse, I really am glad things are returning to normal.

4. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

How bad was the fire? Is that really your tank after all that? Looks really good if it is!

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Dude, I'm very sorry to hear that. What a bummer!!! I'm truly sorry.
    Did you buy the same type of tank to replace it? A pre-drilled tank would be a must for me. If I ever need to take this one down or if it crashes, I'll go that route.

+K for not giving up!

- Mag.

6. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

yes that is my 4 month old tank after the diaster we fixed. bought a brand new pre drilled overflow tank. the new tank actually it is better then my other one it is more "new style" I guess you could say. the fire wasn't too bad I caught it before it got out of hand but my wood floors got some small bubbles in them and my Sheetrock has a 6"x6" black spot by the outlet. but all in all thing returned to normal all fish are out and swimming and corals are extended.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

So I just did the same thing as this guy, kinda anyways. I was honestly going to cry soon before reading this thread.

Lession learned: don't dose when tired. I used the calculator on BRS, wanting to raise my Alk and Ca up a touch, but I didn't change the units on Alk to dKH. So I have about 2.5x the dose of Alk I should have. Luckily, I also dosed the Ca behind it a few minutes, so I have a cloudy pricipation mess right now. Still a little worried though. RO is going now, I'll do a WC tomorrow once I have enough RODI. Stupid me for not storing any. Good news though: dKH is 13, pH is 8.4-8.5. dKH was at 9.5 and pH was at 8.3. Any thoughts/assurance anyone can offer?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

For what I can see, the LPS still have their feeder tenticles out, and the snails are still moving along on the glass. Dose was about 1hr 40min ago.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

So I think I'm gonna be ok. Got 10 gal mixed up and changed at least that much. Tested again, pH is back to 8.3-8.4, and Alk is 10-11dKH. Tank is starting to clear now, and I don't see anything that looks to be RTN'ing (yes, I can make up words at this hour ;)). I'm surely going to have a powdery mess tomorrow though. Oh well. Glad it didn't go the other way and have a soupy mess.

Question of the day: Did I just kill my 24hr old pink tile starfish? (fromia monilis) We shall see. Looks to be okayish right now.

Well, off to bed now, for it's what I should have done before I decided to "raise" the tank parameters. Sigh. Another day in the life of a reefer.... or something

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Evolved

the PH remaining constant is a benefit - some additives overdosed in that manner would have significantly increased the PH

You might experience localised ALK burn , most notable on SPS corals ( I have dosed correctly in terms of QTY, but to quickly in the vicinity of diggitata and experienced this)

the tips went white and looked like that had chalk on them - but within a couple of weeks they returned to normal

note the potential for calcification forming on equipment - such as pumps and power heads
    this could affect the performance so you might want to clean these or even do a vinegar soak to get rid of any "lime" thats formed on them

hope it works out
    keep us updated, as information related to events like this, although terribly unpleasant for those experiencing them . can provide valuable information to the site in general and help with any future issues

Steve

1 person likes this.
  12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Thanks Steve. Things looked pretty good this morning, everything wasn't as chalk covered like I had feared. All my corals looked just fine, at least under the actinics, and I did not see a single invert dead. Bonus - the fromia has moved a couple inches from when I went to bed. I really think I dodged a silver bullet here. I didn't test this morning before work, but it's first on the agenda when I get home. I suspect Ca and Alk to probably be about where they were before I decided to "fix" things. While this was an "interesting" experiment, I'm shocked at the good results. Thanks for the advice on the pumps, that was on my list for this evening as well, in addition to siphoning out some of the chalk.

1 person likes this.