Overdose!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Dubethenewb, Oct 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

looks alot better from just doing what I can keeping things clean. still cloudy but I can see a little and corals look ok just dusty.

I haven't been able to do a water change yet I am going get 20 gallons Tom and take it from there and test and see what's next

is was so cloudy when it happened I thought for sure it was a goner you couldn't see anything

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Test tomorrow morning and let us know.
    Good luck with the water change. I would do that ASAP!

High alk killed most of my inverts and corals took a few months to recover. I took the drastic measure and did a 5 gallon water change with only RO water. No salt added. That brought my alk down from 16 to 11 in a 60 total water volume tank.
    You can make 1 gallon of very salty water and add it slowly afterwards. But let things precipitate a bit. When calcium precipitates it drops in the number and so does alkalinity for what I understand.

In my case, I had overdosed Magnesium, but the outcome was the same, alkalinity to the roof!! I guess more ions of mg supported more ions of CA and this also rose my alk by that much. Your case may be different, but if Alk is your concern, I would try this and then slowly dose to get your numbers where you want them.

Good luck again! Keep us posted.

4. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

woke up this morning water is crystal clear the dust has settled over the rockwork it isent too bad. the corals and fish look fine. will be doing the water change when I get off work and I'll keep it updated. hope there's no effects

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Sounds promising. What is your Alk at?

It's funny, because I remember as a kid learning not to open anything over the tank, and never to pour anything directly in the tank. I vaguely recall a container of flake food floating around in our freshwater tank. :-[

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Yeah, I remember thinking about every single thing I open above my tank as well... Eventually you're bound to get too comfortable and make a mistake. It happens. I currently put a towel on the carpet and do everything on that. Just in case.

7. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

yeah I had the bottle open in the tank rack and closed my canopy n forgot about it because my tank is 6 foot to the top and couldn't see it and it knocked over into the tank. learned my lesson but stuff happens I just got 25 gallons bout to do the water change and see where I'm at. last night when I tested dkh I couldn't get a reading so I'm guessing it was off the charts. amazingly corals look as if nothing happened.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Wow you got lucky with corals, although the precipitation may have prevented a serious rise in alk.

10. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

just took everything out the sump cleaned the skimmer all pumps and powerheads shyfoned out all the debre and stuff. clean the display tank the best I could then changed 25 gallons out. I'm going to give it a test when I get back home tonight.

11. Dubethenewb

Dubethenewb Bristle Worm

just tested the water

ph 8.2
    ca 340-360
    nitrite 0
    amm 0
    phos 0
    nitrate 5
    dkh 14.7

nitrates could be reading 5 now bc I washed all the equipment with tap water it was at 0 for a while. but my dkh is pretty high guess I will do another water change in a couple days. water is so clear now though you can't even tell it has water in it. only coral that seems to be getting affected is my Kenya tree coral. I have three ricordia shrooms two candy canes brain coral couple zoo colonies some acipora monti caps and athelia and frogspawn.

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

thats great news Dubethenewb

those levels are not to bad at all IMO

you could consider, waiting a few days and then boosting your calcium to 400 - 420 (do that in 2 stages over 2 days, not in 1 day)
    as this should have the effect of bringing your DKH down by 3 to around 11.7
    which would then make the 2 paramaters within normal reef tolerances

Steve