overall tank health

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by bvb-etf-luva, Jan 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

ok, so i had a 40 gallon reef tank. i then upgraded to a 90 gallon because the 40 was crowded. so i transfered all the fish and coral. after a few weeks the fish and corals are good. all the corals are softies like xenia kenya tree and tons of different polyps. the fish in the tank are two damsels a maroon clown and a percula, a sailfin tang, a yellow tang, and a hawkfish, and also a carpet anemone and ritteri that the clownfish are in.

well we went on vacation and sure the return pump in my sump gives out and the sump overflows. which is horrible as the outlet is right behind the tank with a power strip with all the lights and pumps and such plugged into. sure enough it blows out the pump on my protein skimmer and the daylight pc bulb on the display tank. so now ther is no skimmer and just actinics over the tank for for a couple weeks while im on vacation. well i get home everything is still alive but the corals dont look good. i splice the cords on the light to another and bought new bulbs after i saved up over about a month so the corals did pretty bad over that month. also i didnt notice the pump for the skimmer was out until a couple weeks after that and i had to quickly switch the pump in the tank for flow to pump to the skimmer. so now the tank has no flow and i have some cheap pump for my skimmer. so as of now the corals are not doing good at all. everything should be fine now except there isnt much flow in the tank just the return for my sump because the flow pump im using for the skimmer. but the thing is the corals dont seem to be getting better, it has been about a week now and they dont seem to have changed much.:-/ also i addded the anemone after the whole ordeal and he still seems to be acting funny after a couple days. he hasnt opened his mouth is still gaping. but the ritteri which ive had through several tanks seems to be thriving throughout this whole ordeal and ive been told these are notoreously difficult to keep. well the carpets mouth is still gaping and its not attaching and the corals arent doing good at all. and i wake up this morning and see these little white spots and i seriously think thats the last thing i need.....ICH :confused:

does anyone have any tips on what could get my coral back to health and also the anemone. also if this is ich(just a few white spots on the tail of my yellow tang) what is the best way to go about treating it.... seperate hospital tank?

thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about your issues with the tank.

Did you ever replace the pump or add/increase the flow to the tank?

:)

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

no i have not yet saved enough money as the pump i am replacing was quite pricey. also the pump i replaced the pump on ths skimmer with after it broke doesnt seem to be really...skimming? is it not powerful enough or what?