Over my head!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by tom.n.day, Jan 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I just received my LED's from RAPID and I am in way over my head! I recieved the dimming kit, but haven't received my controller for it (want typhon from boost) but am not sure how many I need. then, when laying out the configuration, I realized I need more wire but not sure what gauge etc. I am seriously lost.

Vent over. I have the links and I am reading but I feel like i need a "insert the small red end into the blue device marked with a k" type of instructions

2. Click Here!

3. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have no idea how to help you. But heres a bump as i am sure somone on here does. But i would check youtube for how to vidoes. and company websites for set by step instructions.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Which is why I had someone else do this for me. A some people who rock at this and might respond to a PM are Evolved (imo the trailburner hear on RapidLED) exactlyobp (great recent build thread) and of course RapidLED (posting in their spot on this forum or emailing) they are great with customer service.

5. ingtar_shinowa

PS: Sometime we should check out each other's tanks since you are the only other reefer in Billings I know.

6. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Me? Hi Tom!

-This is for 55G, correct?
    -How many heatsinks did you get? What size?
    -How many LEDs and what kind?
    -How many drivers do you have?
    -All dimmable?
    -Are you gonna hang it? or in the canopy?
    -Do you have a digital multi meter?
    -Gonna add other color LEDs to the kit?

Lets get it started! (I really wish we were closer..)

7. ingtar_shinowa

Officially need to start a MT Reef Club. We will meet in Big Timber.... riiight... cause THATS fun lol.

8. Click Here!

9. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

The wire it came with would be 20 ga. However I looked all over and couldn't find any so I used 18 ga. I would start by figuring out your configuration of lights, then wiring together. once you figure out the config. then you can shoot me a PM if you'd like and I can see if we can get you going.

Edit: you should only need one controller

10. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

One typhoon control is enough, it can control multiple drivers. Next you want to use 20 gauge wire. 18 will work but 20 is better. You need a multimeter to test your drivers to makre sure mot too much voltage is being carried through I.e. 1.3a being driven through an led designed to run at 700 ma. The royal blue for example. Make sure heatsinks have enough cooling you can hold them at 100%. LEDs are easy to blow if they get too hot.

11. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

LOL! But seriously, we gotta do a frag swap this Apr or something!

12. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

10 cool white, 10 royal blue, 10 blue (I think i got 4 extra), 4 UV, 4NW and 2 Green. I would eventually like to maybe expand the colors even further but this is what Mike recommended. I have 3 Meanwell ELN-60-48p and one Meanwell LPC-35-700. I am going to run it with a Typhoon when i get one. I have the wire, meter and everything else I need. I have 65 degree optics for everything and 6 80 degree for the green/UV's