Outside air intake skimmer question.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Kadoogen, Aug 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

I was having pH issues I recently identified with a new apex probe addition. pH was dropping as low at 7.64 at night. I ran a tube outside for my skimmer and the pH now has been around 8.12(ish). My question is this, I live in Florida and we occasionally get mosquito trucks that drive and saturate the air with malathion and I am worried the skimmer will take in some of this air and catastrophically crash my tank.Is this something I should be worried about? Would making a diy carbon filter reduce these risks?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I think your concerns are absolutely merited. And I like your proposed solution. Who really knows but if you've experienced that right near your house it is something to take precautions for.

Is one side of the house more prone than the other?

Funny thing about the controller. My reef angel just opened my eyes to the same issue. I will address it when I get back from Macna. I might start with your approach. Thanks for reminder about outside air

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  4. floydie83

floydie83 Flamingo Tongue

I did this. It brought my ph up a bit 7.8 to 8.1 range. I believe it is a beneficial practice.

I agree a valid concern depending on the location of the air intake.

5. BorqueReef

BorqueReef Astrea Snail

I think it could definitely be a concern if it is broadcast heavily in the air. You could make an DIY activated carbon filter or you might want to consider using a premade filter from a mask. You should be able to find them at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.. This link might help you get some details. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0375.html

Matt Rogers likes this.
  6. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

I think i have a good idea, +1 Borque. I am an RN and have access to N95 Masks at work, they are the kind used when treating anyone with airborne precautions, TB and such. If I cut one up and layer in with carbon in a water bottle or something I think it would work swimmingly (pun intended =D) Thanks all

Billme and Matt Rogers like this.
  7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Great ideas with the masks. Good luck and post pics when done.

Does adding a long air hose to a skimmer affect its performance in any way?

8. Click Here!

9. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

Didn't seem to affect it at all. I had a termite prevention treatment last month where they drilled holes into the blocks. One of them about 5 feet from my tank, they goofed on and drilled too far and through the drywall. I just poked it through and snaked the tube behind the cabinet and it fit perfectly.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the info!

11. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Mine was dipping into the 7.6 range so I ran a line to my crawlspace. It's been much better since.

Matt Rogers likes this.
  12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

So for those of use who don't have a hole in their walls, how do you go about doing this?