Our Progress - 46 bowfront

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by =Jwin=, Dec 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

The most recent full tank shots can be viewed on page 38 for those who don't like to read alot :)

Well here's a before, in between, and after picture of what we have going so far. The before is after the clowns were put in, and in between is during the height of our algae problem (and right after the CUC was put in, see the smaller Fuzzy Chiton on the shell? He's bigger now :D)

[​IMG]
    Here's the First pic - Week one and cycling

[​IMG]
    Hair Algae!!! AAAAH. Ammonia zero, nitrites almost zero. Nitrates dropped by 5 after the algae (from 10-5)

[​IMG]
    Taken today. Everyone's happy, got alot of pods and spirobids or whatever they are, and the algae is going awwwaaaay.

[​IMG]
    Mr Fuzzy, the Fuzzy Chiton. Cleaned the rock himself. Fatty.

[​IMG]
    I just wanted to throw this picture in there. Nothing really great about it...just wanted to. :D

ENJOY!
    -Justin

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
    4 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Very nice.. Your well on your way...

4. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Did a water param check today and we are EXCITED. Tested twice because I didn't believe the results, and also used 2 different brands of Ammonia tests.

Our params:

Ammonia = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = 0

This would explain why the algae is going away. They ate all of the "food" and now they don't have anymore. Makes me want to go get a fuge if these results are true...:D

Other params are normal. Nothing bad, but nothing exciting either. Going to LFS today! Bring on critter round 3!

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

check your PO4 also and I'd start checking and dosing calc/alk/mg at this point to

Looks good though great start

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

In celebration of the wonderful readings etc, we picked up a pistol shrimp and goby combo today at the LFS. We've been watching this pair ever since we went and bought our live rock 3 weeks ago. The owner told us it would be a huge risk buying them and putting them in unless our ammonia was at zero after cycling. Soooo...now we have them :D

We're picking up a Protein Skimmer tomorrow hopefully. Happy day!

7. joesreef

joesreef Astrea Snail

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Got the protein skimmer in yesterday. At first, it was running "ok". Except all I saw was a bubble tornado in the middle, no foamy froth going everywhere like an abyss of white. "Did that guy just sell me a seaclone or something?" Today, woke up, NO bubbles were making it to the collection cup. Soooo...

I took it apart and cleaned every square inch of the internal parts. Ran hot tap through it for a bit, rinsed, repeat. Disassembled the Venturi valve, removed all the algae build up inside of it :)dizzy2:) scraped all the dead worms off of it, ran hot water through it, scrubbed, ran hot water through the pump only, rinsed. THEN I finally reinstalled it.

It is now working like a charm! Amazing. My mom got home (she was gone while I was cleaning it) looked at it and said "Oh you got it foaming again! (looking at the collection cup) and OH MY GOSH look at all the bubbles! (looking at the chamber inside)."

So the skimmer is now working flawlessly skimming up all kinds of icky poo ;D

We're doing our second water change at the moment. Might post pictures later.

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

No....you will post pictures later!!! Nice job. And thanks for the pic of Pooh. I want a few of those!!!!

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Ok how bout this, I'll put some pics up when I have a good pic of each inhabitant and our Skimmer woes are over.

Even after my water cleaning, the skimmer created some bubbles etc for 30 minutes - 1 hour, then it dropped down. Is this normal for a skimmer when first put it? It is not a "new" skimmer, just new to our tank. We our currently running it with a vinegar solution and we will try again some time.

12. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

My skimmer took about 4 days before the bubbles went away