Other Hitchhikers

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by inwall75, Sep 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I had about 20 of them on my candy cane trumpet coral. They are tough to see if the coral is out of the water, because they shrink down and "de-flate". They are still hard to grab and get off, even with tweezers. What I did was put the coral (rock, or whatever is infested with the hydroids) into a separate container with some tank water under good lighting, and try to pull them off. Tanster recommended using some sort of Kalk paste to brush over them and smother them out. Try that if you've got it handy.

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Repost: Hydroids - The "Cure"

I have for years been "blessed" with several colonies of brown polyp hydroids. They have pretty well stayed put over time, and spread rather slowly so I have just learned to live with them.

Only way I have ever heard of controlling them was pulling out rock and scraping off.

I would often scrape off bunches on overflows when siphoning.

Couple of weeks ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (On Overflow)​

Today!
    :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are only two possible explanations.

(1) Month or so I added some peppermint shrimp to tank.

or:

(2) Recently I have had a CC star wandering around in tank that my Harlequins have shown no interest in.

Am not sure due to which...but the hydroid colonies have been decimated. :victory: ;D

Note: 09 June 2008 - Have not seen a single one in tank for last couple of months. I wish I could be more sure of what really made them disappear [​IMG]

Since making that post, I found this guy, which came out of nowhere, wandering about tank...could possibly be another explanation.

[​IMG]

All I know for certain is that I am exceedingly lucky. Actually have had the droids almost from beginning of tank startup. Had learned to live with them. They spread very, very slowly and kept to just a couple large colonies. (In way were actually kind of pretty :-/) - don't think that they were getting whatever it is they wanted to eat much, is reason they stayed under control.

All above is pure speculation, but may be a place to start for someone dealing with this unwanted nuisance.

:-[

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

My peppermint shrimp seem more inclined to steal food from the frogspawn while I try to target feed, than to eat the hyroids. The peppermint shrimp stay on the right side of the tank for the most part anyway and have shown no interest in eating the hydroids.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Scott,

I don't know for sure but I've always found that scutus's are vegetarians.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Pretty much any one that has coral, clams or anemones has dinoflagellates in the tank!!! Dinoflagellates can be witnessed as a golden yellow coloration representing zooxanthellae which live a symbiotic relationship with their host. So not all dinoflagellates are bad!

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Curt,

Maybe my pic is not very clear, but am pretty certain is some kind of nudi.

Best I can come up with is some kind of "Chromodoris ?"

Twin horns...and "butt feathers"...:-/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again no idea where it came from [​IMG]

Never had seen before, nor have I since...???

:-/

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I did a wiki on dino's - seem harmless

10. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

I had these covering a green mushroom rock. i took out the rock pulled off what i could see then scrubbed w/ old toothbrush then RO dip haven't seen em' since.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

LOL

Twin horns.....scutus

Twin horns and "butt feathers".....some type of slug or nudi

Sorry, I didn't see that in the pic originally

12. aquanoob

aquanoob Plankton

what's the best way to get rid of Spirorbid worm? my mom gave me a few peices of liverock to get me started and I've noticed several undesirable hitchikers so far.