Osmolator Gets Nice Upgrades

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Tunze is starting to roll out some nice refinements in their Osmolator auto-top-off system. Foremost, you can now set the speed on the pump with the new dial shown below in the controller. For those of you that are running the Osmolator in tandem with the Tunze kalk reactor on a nano aquarium, you can now prevent the Osmolator from pumping kalk in too fast. When I had this setup going, I noted this issue. This is a great feature. Making the pump slower should also dampen the sound and even prevent quick swings in sump levels making this ATO even more accurate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly Tunze has added some quick connects so the pump wires are no longer hard wired to the controller.

Great additions to an already great ATO. Nice work Tunze.

The new version is starting to ship now, but some old ones are still in stock too so there is a bit of a Willy Wonka factor going on in the short term. FYI.

Osmolator Install Thread:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-articles-how-tos/quick-tunze-ato-install-84363.html

Tunze Web site:
    TUNZE Hi-Tech Aquarium Ecology

2. Click Here!

3. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Nice! Less wires is always better ;)

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

sounds like some great upgrades. guessing someone with a reef tank was newly hired ....lol

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Nice!! I have been on the fence about this unit! Seems it's getting closer to time.

6. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

dang, just bought mine. i should have waited.

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

seriously someone in that company should get a bonus for these upgrades. these tweaks make this ato stand far above the others out there.

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I think you meant "further above."

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

What is the minimum gph rating of the new pump?
    I don't agree with your statement unless they allow use of a MUCH slower pump. Personally I don't want anything on my tank that can pump much more than 3x my evaporation rate (I loose about 1gpd), so, 3x is about 500ml/h (~.13gph). This is for my kalk/vinager mix and just for redundancy. If an ATO fails, I want it to fail slooooowwww. I agree that the Tunze sensors are way above the other aquarium stuff, but sensors are only half the ATO. There is no reason to need 26gph on an ATO pump IMO.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It is the same pump. You can just control the speed on it.

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i dose kalk with my ato, and being able to adjust the pump speed is a major plus. also the thought of rewiring a pump when it fails didn't thrill me. it still doesn't thrill me that you have to use their pump. but with the added adjustment i now will consider this ato , when i need another.

and as far as units failing thats what the controllers are for they are your failsafe. LOVE my apex!

lol yes teacher...gcarroll :p