Oscars

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Eric, Dec 19, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Eric

Eric Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I noticed last night that my Oscar had cleared the rock off the bottom of the tank in a circle about the size of a 50 cent peice and would constantly go down to it and sit. is this normal? Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Don't know if its normal, But my one oscar did the same thing by my undergravel filter tube... It would just chill there....

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

When I used to snorkel in lakes in the Mid-West I would see things like you've described - recessed areas on the lake floor - they would often have a fish above it that would protect it. Sounds like home to me.

1 person likes this.
  5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

sounds like its looking for a partner to spawn.

1 person likes this.
  6. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

That's completely normal. Your oscar is building a nest. Meaning its at a mature spawning age and size. I wouldn't necessarily recommend getting a mate, unless you are 100% sure you have a male (check his vents to make sure) and you have a large enough tank. Once you do have a pair they will stay paired off and if they do mate you might experience your oscar pair killing off / harassing tank mates. This of coarse depends heavily on your tank size, feeding regiment, tank arrangement, your oscar size, and tank mate species.

1 person likes this.