Oscar Fighting his reflection

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Patreezy, Aug 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Patreezy

Patreezy Astrea Snail

I noticed my oscar flaring his gills and opening his mouth as wide as he could and banging against the glass lately. He's about 9 inches long, had him for a little over a year, when he does it facing you it can be intimidating even for ME!

After being scared he didn't like the new tank all of a sudden or he was diseased, I think I've got it narrowed down. He/She (I have no idea) only acts like this when the lights on, so I'm assuming he's seeing a reflection and thinking it's another fish trying to come into HIS tank. It only escalates from there..

He stops when I turn the light off though, so it is off most of the time.

Anyway to prevent this? I can't really put up paper on the FRONT of the tank! The only lighting solutions possible are the regular tube bulbs, there are two locations for them, one in front of the other (in a pentagon shaped tank). If I buy a higher frequency light or something will it reduce a reflection?

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Patreezy

Patreezy Astrea Snail

or none, that's ok too.

4. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

He may just be hungry and be trying to get you attention. My Green Terror does the same thing right before I feed him everyday.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Get him a girlfriend.

6. Patreezy

Patreezy Astrea Snail

Profanity removed him and the plecto practically are. The oscar was given to me after I was "fish sitting" it for 3 months and the owner never reclaimed (which is when my fish hobby began..) The g/f at the time bought a little sucker fish to go in the 10 gal tank I was fish sitting them in and they grew up together. lol. they're both 8-9 inches long now. And there's plenty of other tank mates (no other oscars though).

I'm too afraid to add another oscar in fear he'll beat up the smaller one. But he's nice to all the additions I've added to the tank thus far (a ghost knife, and another plecto and a crab).

Really, I have no idea if this oscar is a male. I think you can only tell when they spawn, so I guess it hit or miss with the whole spouse-fish thing..

oh and i found a solution to this angry glass slamming behavior.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007