Oscar and Piranhas

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by fishyfinder, Mar 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

ok here it is i just got a new 55 gallon for my oscar and i was wondering if two piranhas could live with him peacefully:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

You know I am going to go out on a limb here and say yes. Piranhas are not anywhere as vicious as hollywood would like us to belive, especailly tank raise which I belive is the only type available here in the states anymore, although on that I may be wrong.

I belive a good sized oscar would be fine. I have had oscars, really large ones but never had piranhas, even small ones. But Oscars are not slouches themselves so I think that they might be okay.

1 person likes this.
  4. fishyfinder

alrighty then thank you very much

5. ShrimpSkin

ShrimpSkin Bristle Worm

I have had both and once in the same tank, personally I wouldn't do it. If you do make sure the oscars are much bigger and the pirhanas are well fed.

1 person likes this.
  6. fishyfinder

thank you for the info thats a big help

7. zeus_roush

zeus_roush Plankton

oscar

i would think the piranhas would slowly pick the oscar to death.

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

depends on the kind of piranha. a yellow belly or black belly piranha at only 2" would tear up any oscar. You may be ok for a short time with a pair of red belly piranha, if well fed, but don't count on it.

10. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

I have had numerous piranhas, and in opinion the oscar would be gone in a matter of days. Only hope is to always have feeders in the tank. The red belly's that I had killed for "fun" they would take one bit and let the fish die, a real mess. Just my 2 cents.

Dustin

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

See every one has an opinion, that what makes interesting.

Like I said I never had any Piranhas but I know people who have and they all have had them with other fish in the tank. Most only had 1 or 2 including my grandfather who had them in the same tank as a pair of very large Texas Cichlid's a Pacu which is the Piranhas vegetarian cousin and several Plecos and he never had a problem. In fact the Chichlid's pretty much ran the tank as I remember it. Oscars are a pretty formidable fish so I figure they should be okay. Oh and yes I agree only if all are kept well fed.

12. fishyfinder

thank you all i think im just going to build a tank just for piranhas i like my oscar alot and dont want him hurt:cheesy: