ORP

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by omard, Apr 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ordered a Pinpoint ORP monitor today after reading the following:

ORP and the Reef Aquarium

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.htm

Have not seen much discussion of it here...but it seems to be an important factor to keep aware of after reading the above.

Am going to monitor tank conditions for month or so, paying close attention to changes after water changes etc, before taking further action like getting an Ozone generator, etc...

Am thinking this might be secret to the "crystal" clarity of commercial aquarium tanks...

Seattle Aquarium does use ozone in their show tanks...

My AquaC skimmer has an ORP port on it if needed...but am clueless as to if really needed or how to setup if it decided that it is..

Omard

oxidation reduction potential (ORP)

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good topic Omar. I've always considered myself a Superoxide Radical.  ;D

I clicked on that link and just read the whole thing.

Seems as though ORP is part of the great 'unknown.'

Many, many things going on there.

From what I gathered, if you are considering ozone, then you will need to monitor ORP as big numbers would indicate that you are overdosing.

Otherwise, it's not something to be overly concerned about.

However, I find it very interesting that you may be able to detect 'events' in your tank such as coral spawning, deaths and such with ORP. That's pretty cool.

Sounds like you'll need to calibrate the probe and keep it real clean as bacteria will affect its measurements.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hi Matt,

Lots and lots to learn about here...have been "wallowing" in the FAQ's over at webmedia.com re: ORP, Ozoners, etc.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ozonefaq2.htm

So far my impression, potential benefits of ozone, outweigh hazards, or other pitfalls...

But intend to do much more "research" and evaluation before I start pumping any of the stuff into my tank. (I did have forsight to get my AquaC with the ozone fitting so in case I decided to go that way it would be easy to do)

All indications are that serious investigation warranted...

Ordered monitor and probe...should be over here by end of week. -

Think I need another "meet" with by Seattle Aq. contact...

Will keep ya all up to date.

Om

5. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Om

If you want to know more about ORP and ozone click on the link below to our chem forum. Do a "Search" on ORP and Ozone with Boomer as "user name". You will be reading for hours :D

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Boomer,

You are right, lots there...just visited to take a look (I already had account) - trapped me for couple of hours and just getting started.

Going to be couple of months "study" involved in this topic I see..

Thanks for tip...had not got past webmedia.com yet.

OmarD

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I personally have no intention of ever adding ozone to my tank as there are so many other things I can do to remove organics.......uv sterilization, running a properly sized skimmer for my tank size and bioload, etc.

Frankly, ozone scares me as it's bad for you if you don't have it set up properly and if you overdose it, it kills your tank. (Too many oxidizers are just as bad as too many reducers).

I love the article and ORP finally makes a little more sense to me. I have read a lot of your posts as well Boomer and I greatly appreciate the knowledge I obtained.

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Doesn't anyone here have any first-hand experience with Ozone?

My initial impression (from most favored "Reef Guru's" Fenner/Calfo) that benefits are substantial...

ORP monitor in tank for three days now...highest reading so far "271" - (range ~250-271)

What significance of this means, am still uncertain.

Will see if any difference after schedualed bi-monthy water change this afternoon...

Will Report..

OmarD

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ok, about 6 hours after regular everyother week 15 gal waterchange (with processed seawater straight from Seattle Aquarium (a good thing)...

Tank ORP now up to 280 (a jump of about 10 mv)...

According to original link above...is in the "OK" range...

ORP and the Reef Aquarium

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.htm

re:

"...That middle ground is typically described as being between 200 and 500 mv. Most aquarium authors have recommended a range of 300-450 mV. Why? Mostly because the ocean often has ORP in this range, and because these authors have successfully operated aquaria in this range..."

According to Calfo/Fenner (et. al.)...a "tad" on low side for optimum ... increasing Redox, dissolved oxygen, reducing overall microbe populations in your system, helping to keep the water clean/clear

They recommend ave readings between 350-400 optimum (just not exceed 500)...

Water is looking great at current level...

Will continue to watch..

OmarD
    [​IMG]

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid