ORP probe stuck & O3 ran for 4+ days straight

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Otty, Nov 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Wow.....those are some looooong articles!!!! The best kind. Thanks Curt. I'll read up.

2. Click Here!

3. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Hey! Scott! Just my 0.02$! ORP probes do wear off, far quicker than pH probes! This is a consequence of their design! Moreover, they tend to wear off quicker in highly oxidizing environments -> well above 0mV. WE lawas have at least 2 ORPs (of different age) to confirm mV value. I hope you will resolve your problems. If not I've got my own solution: I'm using ORP meter hooked up via serial port RS232 to my old PC. I've written python-based interface to read from the device + control Gembird USB 4xplug surge protector. It can be triggered by ORP fluctuations, but also run for desired time.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Glad you caught that Scott. Hope the livestock is all ok.

1 person likes this.
  5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I will have to do some figuring on how long it takes for it to bring the tank up and try some of these codes. Thanks a bunch Sessions! Karma for that one.

Well I have lost 2 fish and I have two corals that are RTN'ing. Will have to do some fragging today so I can get them in some Lugos and try and save them.

2 people like this.
  6. sessionthree

sessionthree Spaghetti Worm

No problem. Whenever I get to where I'm using Ozone (if ever), I'll have to remember this issue for myself!

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I second guessed it in the beginning but now that I have been running it for a while it is great. You would not believe the clarity of the water after using one. Once I get the bad probe issue taken care of but....that's what happens when you try to save a penny on non lab grade probes.

8. Click Here!

9. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Let me know if you need extra RO/DI water for changes. I've got class tonight but I'm sure mommy would keep an eye on the RO unit to fill up the 7 or so jugs I have.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have 40g of SW made up and another 10g of RO/DI and finally have a booster pump on the RO/DI unit so I can make water pretty fast.

11. sessionthree

sessionthree Spaghetti Worm

Correction

Otty,

I need to make a correction. If you choose to do something like the above, the code won't work, you'll still have to use a DUM timer and do something like this:

If Time > 12:00 Then DUM ON
    If Time > 13:00 Then DUM OFF
    If ORPA < 390 Then OZ3 ON
    If ORPA > 391 Then OZ3 OFF
    Max Change 010 M Then OZ3 OFF
    If Timer DUM = OFF Then OZ3 OFF

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I will have to sit down and try some of these. Thanks again for your input. ;D