Orp/o3?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by omard, May 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What is ORP level in your tank?

1. <200 mV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 200-250 mV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 250-300 mV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 300-350 mV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 350-400 mV

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. 400-450 mV

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. >450 mV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Don't know

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

What is optimum ORP level in a reef aquarium :confused:

(Have not seen discussed for while...)

“ORP is a measure of the cleanliness of the water & its ability to break down contaminants” (Ozone Solutions, Inc.)

Do you know what ORP level is in your tank?

My tank, without a Ozoner/or use of UV stays consistently around 350 - 370 mV. Average [​IMG]

Seems to me that when using ozone, it did not get much higher then this. And was afraid of cranking up ozoner much higher. Too much 03 will sterilize tank...

The ABC's of ORP

From snips from: ORP and the Reef Aquarium, by Randy Holmes Farley
    (Really much, much, more then I ever wanted to know about ORP)

Bottom line, what actions can one take to maximize ORP in tank without use of ozoner or use of UV system?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I don't really feel there is a right or wrong level really Scott . I say this from my experiences with say ORP is always changing with the clock during the course of the day.. But as a Low I'd say under 300 you have a huge problem in the making I look at mine like my P.H as long as its at a close number everyday at about the same time then I know its all good in there.

I like and try to keep mine as close to 400 to 425 as I can at the early morning and if say its at 380 or 350 at 4:00 pm then I know its fine But if it goes into a decline at say 4:00 PM and is at 330 and I had not fed or messed with anything Its time to check the skimmer and water parameters or look for something dead in the system . Redox aka ORP is a great tool I think.. Kind of helps with an early warning of a tanks total health and well being.

Also with my older systems I always avoided the Old Tank syndrome many speak of.

But I'd say look at your level or Redox after the probe is settle and see where you are at at say 12:00 noon and start there and see what you can tweak or cut out to raise the level to as high as you can at that time of day. And when you get to that point then the early A.M as well as the later P.M will also follow suit.. Then as I mentioned if it starts to decline you have a problem and on average 350 to 380 is where you want it . Thats what I shoot for but if you feed heavily as I said its the average and whats average for your system.. So keep a simple chart and get a solid baseline and tweak if if need be.