Original grade substrate or Oolite substrate?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by jrwoltman, Mar 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Hello,

I am setting up a 75 gallon reef tank next weekend. I am going to get 80 lbs of Caribsea livesand, but I don't know which type to get, original grade substrate or oolite substrate. Therefore I am seeking all of your advice, which do you think is better and why? I am planning on getting some starfish when the tank has cycled and it is ready for them, but I am not sure if I will have any burrowing fish. Also, as far as live rock, caribbean or fiji, why?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

forget the live sand, it's a waste of money. get a cup of established sand from a local reefer or your LFS and just seed the dry sand.
    This is what I use in my tanks.
    Sand

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Personally, I loved my Oolite white. I was told by caribasea that they are no longer stocking it. If you find some, it will most likely be dead (old stock).

I have regular stuff in my tank now and don't enjoy it near as much.

1 person likes this.
  5. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

jonjon, it is Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand oolite; I think you bought the Arag-alive. But thank you nonetheless for the advice.

Jim

6. dahenley

dahenley Plankton

I have oolic in my 240. i will say that it does move around, but i love the way it looks no matter. it took almost a year for it to gain enough algae to keep from creating a sand storm or huge divits in my substrate. i will say that my 240 is mainly SPS with a ton of flow. if it had mainly LPS or softies where i wouldnt need as much flow, it would be perfect. i think it looks more white and less dirty over time.

its totaly up to you though. i see tanks with both types of substrate, and like them both, but love my oolic. one thing i will say is to put egg crate down over your bottom glass. then stack your rock on it. lastly put your sand in. this will help in the future if you get a goby of some kind. itwill prevent it from digging and creating a land slide of rock. (which potentially would break your glass)

just my opinion of course. good luck to you!!! (by the way, i just purchased a 75 for my wife and it has the regular substrate. (i still think i like the oolic even though it moves around a little))

happy reefing.

1 person likes this.
  7. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Thanks dahenley,

I definitely plan on the egg crate. Can I just pick that up at Lowe's or Home Depot? I am psyched, I am setting it up this weekend. Then the pain of waiting for my tank to cycle before I can add livestock.

8. Click Here!

9. dahenley

dahenley Plankton

egg crate = light diffuser panels

you can get them from HD or lowes.
    they were not with the other light fixtures. i found them where the buisness accessories were. it just depinse on how your store is set up.

also, someone mentioned to get a Ziploc bag of sand from fellow reefers. that is a great idea and works better than some packaged live components. plus you will get a more diverse bacteria.