Oreef sump

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Scuba Ken, Oct 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

So, I love corals and had a very nice little 90 gallon reef growing until I introduced a juvenile Emporer Angel (was a favor in the middle of the night, don't beat me) who promptly mowed his way through all my corals.

So now I have my big tank and sump going, I am looking at sectioning off a area in the sump as a reef, I have some live sandin there, some live rocks and a 120 watt blue and white LED hanging over the top.

Wouldi be able to grow some torch corals, bubble tips, and some acropora corals in this area ? I have a pair of tiny black and white clowns I could pop in there and would love to add a mandarin as well.

Comments or suggestions are always welcomed.

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

honestly I would just set up a breeder tank for a reef and leave the bigone for fish. Especially when you start throwing SPS into the mix. Why spend the extra hundreds/thousands for water quality issues if you don't have to.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think it could be done, at least in theory I would think so. The only concern I would have is that the nutrient level would be pretty heavy in there....

5. Scuba Ken

What extra items would I need to throw in there ?

I have a skimmer, heater, power heads, led lights, live rocks and substrate.

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I meant its cheaper to keep nutrients low on a 20-40g tank with light bioload than to take your 180 tank system with a heavier bioload.

7. Scuba Ken

My bigger problem is , I don't have any room for another tank in the basement, I already have the 480 gallon system, and a 46 gallon QT, my missus would stab me to death in my sleep if another tank showed up.
    She actually might not wait for me to be sleep ........................ The big tank was quite the surprise, the 46 was kinda traumatic, a 40 gallon breeder would probably give her a defence for murder :)

8. Click Here!

9. Scuba Ken

My bigger problem is , I don't have any room for another tank in the basement, I already have the 480 gallon system, and a 46 gallon QT, my missus would stab me to death in my sleep if another tank showed up.
    She actually might not wait for me to be sleep ........................ The big tank was quite the surprise, the 46 was kinda traumatic, a 40 gallon breeder would probably give her a defence for murder :)

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

oh dear, then I think it's imperative that you figure this out :)

1 person likes this.