Ordering, no qt tank

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by ZC42, Feb 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hey guys,

So I've decided to purchase from live aquaria. A few dartfish, maybe some LPS. Thing is, I don't have the time or the money to set up a qt tank. I know this is a huge gamble, but I will try to do everything I can including dipping the corals and really inspecting each fish before it get into the tank... Has anyone [SUB][/SUB]else pulled it off?

2. Click Here!

3. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

this is going to sound terrible but I have never qt'ed anything. and I haven't ran into any problems in over two years. Not saying that it shouldnt be done, just saying it can work

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I haven't either cause i haven't had the space or time to set an extra tank up and haven't had any issues.

5. ZC42

Yay! SO it can be done.

6. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

Very touchy subject. I've been into saltwater for ~12 yrs and I've never QT any corals, snails, crabs, etc. However, I do try to QT fish because it's not easy catching them once they are in your DT. I do believe QTing in the wrong QT setup does more harm than good to livestock. If they are small fish, I would suggest picking up a small/cheap tank and QT them. On the coral side, at least dip and inspect them well. Obviously the safer solution would be to get the right QT setup, but that's not cheap and not bullet proof either, there will always be risk, just try to minimize it. Your judgement call. Good luck.

7. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I go both ways on this subject. I think it does have its advantages if done properly, but it isnt a manditory rule of the hobby & there should be no need to call animal control if you dont QT.

I do think some times QT can be more harm than good. Lets example this: You get a new fish, its stressed from the ride home, or the ride in the mail. Now its plopped into a small barebones tank where it still isnt comfortable. They its medicated (when it might not be sick), hypo'd and whatever else its new owner does. All they while thru this it is put thru continual biological and space confining stress. Think of it in a human sense. Taking drugs for a illness you dont have can alter your physical resistances and leave you open to other illnesses.

The flipside to it is that a QT isnt always about the fish you bought, its about the fish you have. Absolutely there is a chance that special new friend may have some sort of infection, ich, or whatever else that is just waiting to be spread to the rest of its new tankmate friends.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

It depends on what you have. If my DT was full of delicate 500 dollar a piece wrasses and angelfish, then everything i put in would be QT'd. Same with coral. If you know alot about what to look for then most the time you can avoid parities and sick fish.

I totally agree with QT tanks, I just don't do them. I've never had coral pests, ick is just one of those things that may or may not be present in a system regardless of symptoms, and as long as you keep a healthy tank very little will affect or infect your livestock.

In any case you throw 3 dartfish in a 20g tank you need to do 50% a week water changes (more like 10-15% a day) or they will get hit by ammonia spikes anyway. HOw old is your tank and what kind of load do you have at the moment?

10. eelgirl

eelgirl Feather Duster

i recently got an order from liveaquaria 4 fish total. the package even got lost for 3 days. i do not have a qt. just acclimated them for about an hour and half. they are doing wonderfully. good luck!

also. go on their website they give you a full detailed explination of how they qt and acclimate before even sending them out to you. very reasuring

11. ZC42

Yes, I've read that, and also my current load in the tank is 2 clowns 1 bangaii cardinal, would get 2 dartfish from live aquaria

12. bucksfan1976

bucksfan1976 Banned

I have never had a qt tank either , I just do slow acclumates and introduce when the lights are off and never had a issue