Ordering my LEDs soon, need some opinions! - pg3

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Inertiatic, Feb 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Theres ebay options for optics on those, I just hate the glare that comes out the sides of them without optics.

Look into hanging from the wall. I used 2 "flower pot" hangers from Lowes so I didn't have to drill holes in the ceiling. Led's weigh nothing. I think page 3 shows what I used. Just an idea, finishing and painting a wall is a lot easier than a ceiling.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aqu...ctrical-rookie-now-blind-boot-lol-129782.html

2. Click Here!

3. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Ohh, did not know they had optics on ebay. Thank you Cosmo, will have to look into those.

4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I have some eBay optics on a few of my LEDs as well. (Was I the one who I gave you the idea to you Cosmo? :D)

As far as the hanging idea goes, here is what I wanted to do. But mine is hung from the ceiling, I love the clean look!

1 person likes this.
  5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Ive talked to Mike at RapidLED via email. The XT-E royal blue they have is now rated max current of 1.5A! (they havent updated the site yet.)
    This means you can crank up the royal blue. But of course if you do this, you cant run them with blues together.

Something to think about.

6. Inertiatic

I had that conduit bar DIY hanging idea bookmarked Shin, I dig it too. Haven't decided if that's the route I want to go. Waiting to see how my new stand looks.

Oh wow, the new max current changes things. Guess it lets me do this.

Driver 1(27P):
    8 x Royal Blue

Driver 2(27P):
    6 x Cool White

Driver 3(48P):
    4 x Blue
    6 x Violet
    2 x Red
    2 x Cyan

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

You might be able to get it blue-ish without costing you extra! woot! lol

I still wouldnt feel 100% comfortable doing 14 LEDs on one driver tho. And reasoning for the 27P instead of 48P?

8. Click Here!

9. Inertiatic

Well the 48P runs at 1.3 mA max and I will be running it around 700-800 when at maximum. Mike told me that if I have LEDs near the minimum threshold and run them at a low current, there might not be enough current to power the LEDs.

The 27P handles 5-8 LEDs, which is why I'm running the whites and royal blues each on one.

10. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I see, it totally makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. One of the 48Ds I got is pushing 1.4A (it couldve pushed even more when I was adjusting), even tho it's rated at max of 1.3.

11. Inertiatic

I bombarded Mike with questions when I was first considering going to LED, so he helped answer a lot for me.

Crazy how your mean well is pushing more then it's rated for, but makes sense too.

12. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Turned out its not that uncommon.