Orange Tube Coral

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by cuttingras, Jul 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

How do you know if an Orange Tube Coral eats enough? The flowers open in the morning, I feed them they close and reopen later in the day. Can I feed them Kent Marine ZooPlex or do they need more than that? I've been melting a cube of prime reef and feed(?) it to them with a syringe(no needle of course) I kinda squirt it around them. I've put it into a cave that has three openings for water flow. I squirt the food into the holes in the cave and it engulfs them with food. Does it floating near them give them enough or do I need to make sure each little opening has a bunch in it? Is it ok to take it out into another glass(not exposing to air ofcourse) and melt the cube in there and let it eat away? I'm confused again. Am I reading too much into this, and the food swirling aorund them is good enough or do they like to chew on a hunk of meat every now and then?

p.s. How do they look for 8 days old(in my tank)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

they are looking great. what are you feeding them?

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Have the sun polyps opened up at all?

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

They should more like this at feeding time...

[​IMG]

6. cuttingras

I got them about 8 days ago yes they open quite often. But not at the same times. I feed them Mysis or ZooPlex or Frozen(thawed) Cubes of Prime Reef. Do they look ok?

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

well if they open up ok then they look fine, haven't lost color which is a good sign.

8. Click Here!

9. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

They look fine. Just FYI each polyp is independant and needs to be fed for survival.

With some work you can 'train' them to all open up at the same time each day :)

10. cuttingras

Will each polyp have Meat sticking out of them, that they are "chewing" on, or should they get smaller pieces that the naked eye might not see? DO they have to GRAB the food, I guess is what I'm asking?

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

They look fine and will do great with mysis or brine shrimp or a formula food. Phyto or zoo plankton isn't ideal for them as it is too small IMO, plus, you don't want to add to much of the plankton food to reduce chances of introducing too many nutrients into your water. Target feeding is best!

12. cuttingras

Well it appears as though I have low budget corals LOL they prefer the flake food in water over mysis, king crab(don't tell hubby..hehe), shrimp or prime reef frozen! Just plain 'ole New Life Specturm Otpimum Salt H2o flakes, mushed up in water and Fed thru a syringe. Now, I see them eating, before I didn't
    look here~~~~~>[​IMG]