Orange sun coral mouth wide open with slime bubble

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by wigginsreef, Dec 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wigginsreef

wigginsreef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Anyone seen this befoe with their sun corals? its mouth is open about a half inch with this large slime bubble coming out of it.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Thats odd... My sun coral doesn't do that... Heck it hides during light and comes out a night though. Im interested to find out too!

Bump!

4. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Looks more like a dendro than a sun coral to me. Not sure what that stuff is tho.

~Will.

5. wigginsreef

wigginsreef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

thanks for the feedback!

Oh yeah sorry, I was on my way at the door and wanted to get this posted quick, so I spaced out on it. It is a Dendro, but the guys at the LFS called it a large polyp sun coral, so I assumed that was it's common name. Also sorry about the fuzzy picture, I didn't take the time to set up the tripod. Promise to be more patient in the future. This Coral has polyps about 1" in diameter. whether or not it's out seems to be strictly based on the availabilty of food in the water column. This tank has mostly LPS, so I don't use a filter sock. My LPS' don't like the water to be too clear. They are a lot happier with some particulate in the water all the time. I think that's why this guy stays out most of the time. Also a new pic!

Attached Files: