Orange spotted Goby Jumped out of Tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dc11648, Sep 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dc11648

dc11648 Astrea Snail

I purchased a OrangeSpotted goby yesterday for my 55 gal. tank. All last night he/it was working its magic.
    This morning he/it was laying right in front of the tank, dead of course.
    I was told I don't need a top on my tank, above are my T-5 lights.
    I wish they would have told me he might jump out. I've only had my tank since May 2007 and am just starting to ad some fish. It was like throwing $40.00 in the trash, which I can't afford. It took me long enough to save for the tank, lights, and the 2 small aneomies I have. I read nothing about them jumping.
    Are they known for high jumps?
    In the dark

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Sorry bout your loss!!!.....I can sympathize with you! I've had one commit suicide too. Most LFS's don't either care to know what's in your tank, or the minute you leave they forget you. Did the store have a stay alive guarantee?? I hope you didn't flush it. I'd take it back. Sometimes it's an unconditional guarantee....

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Sorry for your loss, most gobies are known jumpers.

6. dc11648

dc11648 Astrea Snail

I must be a gluttin for punishment. Looseing 1 goby wasn't enough, I wanted one in my tank. I went to Home Depot and purchased the white plastic grate for the top of my tank. Fitted it - and about 4/5 days later I purchased a second goby. Well, this weekend I come home from the fish store and there in front of the tank on the floor is the second goby. The holes are small, the grate feels too heavy. Can not believe it could get out by the little opening where the wire for my powerheads are.
    I was told I do not need to place a glass top on my 90 gal tank.
    So, yesterday I went back to Home Depot and we purchased a metal screen wire, with very small holes. My husband is going to build a frame for it to fit around the top of the tank.
    Maybe I'm not ment to have a goby.

7. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I wouldn't put anything metal in, on, or close to the tank. It will rust.

8. Click Here!

9. diggardens

diggardens Feather Duster

Sorry about the lack of luck with the gobies. Don't put metal near your tank. Even with building a frame for it you will still have water getting to it over time. You don't want it to rust and leach all kinds of problems into your tank.

10. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

You know something I was thinking about. Could you put gutter guard over the egg crate???

11. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I am really sorry for your loss.
    I have a Flame Hawk, they are known to jump as well. He jumps, right into the overflow. I have had to retrieve him 6 times now and he is in there again....He has been lucky so far....

12. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

All drains lead to the Ocean!!! ;D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007