Orange spot goby with super sand sifting skills

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Jeffrey750, May 22, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jeffrey750

Jeffrey750 Astrea Snail

I have a pretty well stocked 55 loaded with coral and fish. I just recently, two days ago added an orange spot goby. He's been non-stop sifting my sand and making caves and LOTS of dust. My water was super clear it looked like bottled water, now it's constantly dusty. Will my new goby slow down on the sifting? He has in two day's sifted the intire tank, even under rocks and has no respect for my corals and frags he's been burrying. I love the little guy! Will he chill out eventually?

2. Click Here!

3. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

er thats what they do

HI,
    Had problems with rocks falling and caveins so back he went.
    Now the upside you don't have to filter the gravel.
    Doug

4. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Probably not unfortunately...maybe after he establishes a territory. Matt has kept a few.

Just make sure you feed him often (with the other fish). They can starve themselves out of even a 55g :(

5. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

I just got one of these guys a few days ago. He's been busy digging burrows and trenches since I got him. I love it! The sand needed moving around. I haven't noticed and dust clouds luckily.

6. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Oh, just thought of this...what sand are you using?

my sand is .5mm to X. mm and it gets stirred up really easy. As the tank ages and you do water changes the really fine grain sand will probably go away.

caribsea your aragonite source and more!

example of grain size ^

7. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I would imagine the clouds will go away after the goby gets more of your sand clean. Right not it is probably just stirring up all the debris in your sand that has not been cleaned or stirred in a long time.

8. Click Here!

9. Jeffrey750

Jeffrey750 Astrea Snail

So he's like my $25.00, 24 hour super filter! I used CaribSea live pink Fiji sand.

10. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

I have one in my 125, and now that he gone through and turned over each and every grain of sand, he has taken it upon himself to rearrange my substrate. I dont mind because it is like having a new set up almost every day. I dont have to worry about starvation as he seems to eat flake food along with everybody else.

11. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Yeah, that Fiji pink has a min grain size of .2mm I imagine after some of it will go bye-bye, and other parts of it might be waste, detritus etc.

GL :)

12. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

Actually, since my last post the tank looks like a minefield. He even dug out under one of my rocks and toppled it against the glass! He's one busy fish!