Orange Coralline Algae Research

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Fiyero1988, Dec 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

I've had a lot of questions about the orange species of Coralline algae and how to grow it. So I did research and traveled to a place locally that is known for the brightest orange coralline covered rocks. Here's what I gathered.

1. Why we can't seem to get this stuff to grow is because this color of algae only grows in a specific spots.

Its environment consists of VERY shallow waters. The bright orange color is used to filter out extreme U.V. rays. The orange coralline algae can be found prolifically 10 feet under or less (Some on my trip were completely exposed out of the water with waves cresting onto them every so often)

Thick mattes of orange coralline blanketed rock structures closer to shore sometimes only 10 feet out offshore. The ones exposed to air seemed denser and also brighter in coloration.

Orange coralline algae prefers strong current and extreme lighting conditions. Favoring kelvins ranging in 5500 - 7500

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

Guess somethings we can only see on the ocean.

4. doobiej

doobiej Astrea Snail

not sure if this is the same stuff but I have TONS of orange coraline ( i think ) this is 2 pieces by most of my 150lbs of rock has it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Good job on the research.

6. fbird

fbird Astrea Snail

That is AWESOME!

7. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

No it is not the same this orange is th color of big birds beak. Here are some examples:
    [​IMG]

Generally found on Florida live rock. It is gorgeous, thick, and once in your tank generally declines and disappears. I'm doing sample tests on surrounding areas to see what we are missing.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Are you sure that's not the orange sponge found in Florida? There is a LFS here that gets Caribbean live rock in that has it on it. Looks very similar.

10. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

No its coralline algae as stated where I have gone to collect it, it is found breaching out of the water on rocks. Sponges would not exhibit such behavior although their is an orange encrusting sponge native to florida AKA Scopalina ruetzleri commonly found on most live rock harvested from the Tampa area. My research area; however, is an hour south from tampa bay called long boat key.

1 person likes this.
  11. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

What lfs do you go to? I've never seen anything that color around here

12. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Gotcha, so that's a coralline growing over a porous rock. I haven't been to that area, only the Keys.

Best Fish in Milwaukee.